Subject: [Roll] Last Call: <draft-ietf-roll-useofrplinfo-42.txt> (Using RPI Option Type, Routing Header for Source Routes and IPv6-in-IPv6 encapsulation in the RPL Data Plane) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2020 16:02:30 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Routing Over Low power and Lossy
networks WG (roll) to consider the following document: - 'Using RPI Option
Type, Routing Header for Source Routes and IPv6-in-
   IPv6 encapsulation in the RPL Data Plane'
  <draft-ietf-roll-useofrplinfo-42.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2020-12-09. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document looks at different data flows through LLN (Low-Power
   and Lossy Networks) where RPL (IPv6 Routing Protocol for Low-Power
   and Lossy Networks) is used to establish routing.  The document
   enumerates the cases where RFC6553 (RPI Option Type), RFC6554
   (Routing Header for Source Routes) and IPv6-in-IPv6 encapsulation is
   required in data plane.  This analysis provides the basis on which to
   design efficient compression of these headers.  This document updates
   RFC6553 adding a change to the RPI Option Type.  Additionally, this
   document updates RFC6550 defining a flag in the DIO Configuration
   option to indicate about this change and updates RFC8138 as well to
   consider the new Option Type when the RPL Option is decompressed.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-roll-useofrplinfo/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.