Subject: [Roll] Robert Wilton's Discuss on draft-ietf-roll-aodv-rpl-10: (with DISCUSS)

From: Robert Wilton via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2021 04:21:56 -0700

Robert Wilton has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-roll-aodv-rpl-10: Discuss

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-roll-aodv-rpl/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
DISCUSS:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

Thank you for your work on this document.

I support John's comment that this document could more clearly state its
relationship to RPL, which may have a bearing on my discuss comment below.

I've balloted discuss on this document because it is not clear to me how this
network protocol would be managed.  I.e., this document doesn't seem to have
any text related to how the protocol is managed, nor does it define a YANG data
model, and I cannot see any YANG data models for this protocol currently in the
ROLL WG.

So, the specific questions that I have are:

(1) Are YANG data models and the existing NETCONF/RESTCONF protocols suitable
for managing devices running AODV-RPL?

(2) Does this protocol build on RPL, and hence would any YANG data models
expect to also build on an RPL YANG data model?

(3) If the answer to 1 or 2 is yes, then a question for the chairs/ADs: Is
there a plan for the ROLL WG to develop a YANG data model for this protocol
(and RPL if required)?

(4) If the answer to 1 or 2 is no, then what other information can be provided
in this document to help implementations create an interoperable management
interface for this protocol?

For clarity, I'm not saying that a YANG data model needs to be provided before
this document can progress, but I would like to understand the path to ensuring
that this protocol can be managed, which may require additional text depending
on the answers to the questions above.

Regards,
Rob

---

From: Alvaro Retana <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2021 07:24:36 -0700

On April 20, 2021 at 7:21:57 AM, Robert Wilton wrote:

Rob:

Hi!  Thanks for your review!

...
...
> there a plan for the ROLL WG to develop a YANG data model for this protocol

AODV-RPL builds on RPL; it uses a new Mode of Operation (MOP)
dedicated to the discovery of p2p routes.  Yes, any RPL-specific
management should be able to be extended for AODV-RPL.

The roll charter specifically mentions the definition of a data model
for RPL.  The WG has been focused on other work and this item hasn't
been a priority yet.

Alvaro.