Subject: Re: BFD Comments

From: Dave Katz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 09:41:04 -0700

(Copied to the list)

On Apr 29, 2004, at 8:22 AM, Erik Sherk wrote:

>
> Section 6.5.6
> Eighth 'If'
> s/session MUST selected/session MUST be selected/

Thanks, noted.

>
> I don't understand why "If a Poll Sequence is being transmitted by the 
> local
> system, the Poll Sequence MUST be terminated". Is this discussed 
> somewhere
> in the draft?

It's an optimization, but it turns out to be a wrongheaded one (as many 
optimizations
turn out to be;   see OSPF <ducks>.)  The idea was to terminate a poll 
sequence as soon as control traffic was seen from the other side, but 
this could cause a parameter change to go unnoticed.  I'll change it to 
require the F bit before terminating.

> I though I had more comments, but looking at my hand writen comments 
> again,
> they are just notes to myself. Are you going to address more of the 
> security
> issues? Or is that more application dependant?

The security hooks will be added to the base spec (in a backward 
compatible manner) in conjunction with multihop applications such as 
unidirectional links and LSPs (as the return path may not be a single 
hop.)  The security hooks will also be usable in the single hop case, 
though we don't want to require it due to performance concerns.

--Dave