Subject: BFD charter rev 3

From: Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 12:00:12 -0700

The latest rev of the charter bellow. The htmldiff with the previous
version is at: http://www.psg.com/~zinin/ietf/bfd-charter-01-02-diff.html

I'm putting this on the IESG agenda for the telechat next week.

-- 
Alex
http://www.psg.com/~zinin/

Bidirectional Forwarding Detection (BFD)

Current Status: Proposed Working Group

Chairs (tentative):
  David Ward <[email-masked]>
  Jeff Haas <[email-masked]>

Routing Area Directors:
  Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
  Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>

Routing Area Advisor:
  Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>

Technical Advisor:
  Dave Katz <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:

  General Discussion: [email-masked]
  Send mail to: [email-masked]
  With a subject line: subscribe
  Archive: ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf-mail-archive/rtg-bfd-wg

Description of Working Group:

The BFD Working Group is chartered to specify a protocol for bidirectional
forwarding detection (BFD), as well as extensions to be used within the scope of
BFD and IP routing, or protocols such as MPLS that are based on IP routing,
in a way that will encourage multiple, inter-operable vendor implementations.

BFD is a protocol intended to detect faults in the bidirectional path between
two forwarding engines, including physical interfaces, subinterfaces, data 
link(s), and to the extent possible the forwarding engines themselves, with 
potentially very low latency. It operates independently of media, data protocols, 
and routing protocols. An additional goal is to provide a single mechanism that 
can be used for liveness detection over any media, at any protocol layer, with 
a wide range of detection times and overhead, to avoid a proliferation of 
different methods.

Important characteristics of BFD include:

  - Simple, fixed-field encoding to facilitate implementations in hardware

  - Independence of the data protocol being forwarded between two systems.
    BFD packets are carried as the payload of whatever encapsulating protocol
    is appropriate for the medium and network.

  - Path independence: BFD can provide failure detection on any kind of path
    between systems, including direct physical links, virtual circuits, tunnels,
    MPLS LSPs, multihop routed paths, and unidirectional links (so long
    as there is some return path, of course.)

  - Ability to be bootstrapped by any other protocol that automatically forms
    peer, neighbor or adjacency relationships to seed BFD endpoint discovery.

At this time the WG is chartered to complete the following work items
(additional items will require rechartering):

  1. Develop the base BFD protocol specification and submit it to the IESG     
     for publication as a Proposed Standard                                    
                                                                               
  2. Document BFD encapsulation and usage profile for single-hop IPv4 and IPv6 
     adjacencies (e.g, physical links and IP/GRE tunnels for static routes,    
     IS-IS, OSPFv2, OSPFv3, single-hop BGP) and submit the specification to the
     IESG for publication as a Proposed Standard.                              
                                                                               
  3. Document BFD encapsulation and usage profile for MPLS LSPs and submit     
     the specification to the IESG for publication as a Proposed Standard.     
                                                                               
  4. Develop the MIB module for BFD and submit it to the IESG for publication  
     as a Proposed Standard.                                                   
                                                                               
  5. Document BFD encapsulation and usage profile for multi-hop IPv4 and IPv6  
     adjacencies (e.g. OSPF virtual links and iBGP sessiosn) and submit        
     the specification to the IESG for publication as a Proposed Standard.     

Topics for Possible Future Work:

  1. Document BFD directly over 802.3 in close collaboration and synchronization 
     with the IEEE.

Goals and Milestones:

Aug 04    Submit the base protocol specification to the IESG to be considered
          as a Proposed Standard.

Aug 04    Submit BFD encapsulation and usage profile for single-hop IPv4 and IPv6
          adjacencies to the IESG to be considered as a Proposed Standard

Aug 04    Submit BFD encapsulation and usage profile for MPLS LSPs to the
          IESG to be considered as a Proposed Standard

Nov 04    Submit BFD MIB to the IESG to be considered as Proposed Standard.

Feb 05    Submit BFD encapsulation and usage profile for multi-hop IPv4 and IPv6
          adjacencies to the IESG to be considered as a Proposed Standard

Internet-Drafts (to be WG items):

draft-katz-ward-bfd-01.txt
draft-katz-ward-bfd-v4v6-1hop-00.txt
draft-raggarwa-mpls-bfd-00.txt
draft-nadeau-bfd-mib-00.txt

---

From: "Thomas D. Nadeau" <[email-masked]>
Date: 03 May 2004 16:43:25 -0400

Alex,

	The charter looks good, but I am not sure
we can have the MIB and the BFD/MPLS documents
done by the end of August simply because they 
are gated on the progress of the base document.
Perhaps an additional month would suffice.

	--tom

---

From: Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 15:26:05 -0700

Thomas,

  It's ok to finish and submit the BFD/MPLS doc at the same
  time as the base doc, it would simply wait in my queue ;)
  No problem pushing the date a bit either.

---

From: Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 17:37:11 -0700

Folks-

 Some more news on BFD: the WG charter passed the internal IESG review
 last week. It is now out for review on the new-work list. The final
 IESG discussion will be at the telechat next week.

Alex