Subject: Fwd: BFD for IGPs

From: Chris Nogradi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 16:30:15 -0500

Dave,

With regards to the "BFD for IPv4 and IPv6 (Single Hop)" draft, I was
wondering if you could clarify what is meant in the 1st paragraph of section
7.3 by, "... but the protocols must share a common topology,..."?  It is not
clear to me if you are referring to the routing protocol (IS-IS) advertising
multiple data protocols (IPv4 or IPv6) sharing a common topology or if you
are referring to the routing protocols (IS-IS and OSPF) sharing a common BFD
session.  If you mean the former, are you saying that only one BFD session
should be created for both data protocols? Or are you saying that a session
would be created for each data protocol but a failure in either would cause
both to be considered down?

Also in the the second paragraph of the same section, I am not sure what is
meant by "... the failing data protocol SHOULD no longer be advertised in
Hello packets in order to signal a lack of connectivity for the protocol."
Are you saying that the router would no longer advertise supporting the
failed data protocol in its Hellos?  Would this not affect other routers on a
multiaccess network since we are still capable of supporting that data
protocol?

Thanks,

Chris

-------------------------------------------------------