Subject: document layout for singlehop, multihop and generic

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 13:22:02 +0300 (EEST)

Hi,

I'm still puzzled by the coverage of various documents:

  1) bfd-multihop-03: about 3 pages of very generic (non-protocol 
specific) guidance on multihop BFD sessions.

  2) bfd-v4v6-1hop-04: the first 4.5 pages are very generic single-hop 
BGP guidance (applicable to any single hop BFD application), the next 
4 pages detail a number of OSPF/IS-IS details for single-hop cases

  3) bfd-generic-01: about 5 pages of generic BFD guidance (not 
specific to either single or multihop).

This seems like patchwork.  IMHO, a more logical separation might be 
having everything generic (either single or multihop) in one document 
and moving the protocol-specific details out of v2v6-1hop to a 
separate BFD+OSPF/ISIS document.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings

---

From: David Ward <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 15:45:36 -0500

We covered this at the last several WG meetings. The issue is: reorganizing
the docs w/o changing the content vs getting the docs to spec ... The WG
agreed to get the docs to full standard.

-DWard

---

From: "Peter Arberg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 23:06:42 +0200

Hi,

I have one suggestion which I would like to see in one of the
documents, best fit would proabably be in the 1hop document,
but could also be in the generic one.

The usage of BFD over 802.3ad ethernet link-groups, in an
application to detect faults in the individual links inside
the link-group.

(not BFD over ethernet, but using the BFD over UDP approach)

I could propose some text for this, and we can discuss it
based on this, and then if you do not think it belongs in either 
of these document, or it is to late in the game to propose
changes,  then I could create a new internet-draft with a 
suggestion for this functionality.

thanks,
Peter

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of David Ward
> Sent: 25. oktober 2005 22:46
> To: Pekka Savola; [email-masked]; David Ward; Jeffrey Haas
> Subject: Re: document layout for singlehop, multihop and generic
>