Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-bfd-mpls-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 15:50:03 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Bidirectional Forwarding Detection Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: BFD For MPLS LSPs
	Author(s)	: R. Aggarwal, et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-bfd-mpls-03.txt
	Pages		: 12
	Date		: 2006-6-27
	
One desirable application of Bi-directional Forwarding Detection
   (BFD) is to detect a MPLS LSP data plane failure. LSP-Ping is an
   existing mechanism for detecting MPLS data plane failures and for
   verifying the MPLS LSP data plane against the control plane. BFD can
   be used for the former, but not for the latter. However the control
   plane processing required for BFD control packets is relatively
   smaller than the processing required for LSP-Ping messages. A
   combination of LSP-Ping and BFD can be used to provide faster data
   plane failure detection and/or make it possible to provide such
   detection on a greater number of LSPs. This document describes the
   applicability of BFD in relation to LSP-Ping for this application. It
   also describes procedures for using BFD in this environment.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-bfd-mpls-03.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-bfd-mpls-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-bfd-mpls-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.