Subject: Detect Multiplier Change

From: "Oren Geron" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 10:47:42 +0200

Hi,

If I understand correctly, In Asynchronous mode, only when the DesiredMinTxInterval or RequiredMinRxInterval
is changed we set the Poll (P) bit.
I find it useful to set the Poll bit when changing the Detection Multiplier value as well.
By doing so, we let the remote system know that it should update its Detection time.
The other alternative is to calculate the detection time after each BFD packet reception (even if the DesiredMinTxInterval or RequiredMinRxInterval has not changed),
just for the possibility that the Detection Multiplier has changed.

Can you please clarify this issue ?

Regards,

	Oren.

---

From: Dave Katz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 17:08:19 -0700

On Aug 30, 2006, at 1:47 AM, Oren Geron wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If I understand correctly, In Asynchronous mode, only when the  
> DesiredMinTxInterval or RequiredMinRxInterval
>
> The other alternative is to calculate the detection time after each  
> BFD packet reception (even if the DesiredMinTxInterval or  
> RequiredMinRxInterval has not changed),
>
The Poll bit is necessary for the interval changes because the system  
changing the intervals needs to know that the remote end is aware of  
the changes before actually changing the transmission rate (lest the  
sending system start sending packets more slowly and the session  
times out.)

I don't see much utility in what you suggest here, since it's not  
particularly difficult to calculate the detection time (it's  
certainly a whole lot cheaper than the act of receiving the packet.   
Even if it were useful, it would arguably require a version number  
change to rely on, since no implementation in the field does this  
currently and there would be no way otherwise to know if it did.

What part of calculating the detection time on every packet do you  
find unreasonable?

--Dave