Subject: BFD Admin-down

From: "Jagrati Shringi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 14:08:47 -0500

I have a question regarding BFD state - Administratively-down. The base
draft recommend that we send a packet with
Local state: Down  and Appropriate diag in this case and then stop
transmitting control packets. This way we will send very few or may be one
packet with state down and diagnostic:7 .

My question is, this seem to be the only case in BFD where we will not be
able to maintain correct diagnostic on remote end, in case the packet
carrying this information is dropped. If the peer does not receive this
packet, it will move to down-state with Diag :Control Detection Time
Expired, instead of Neighbor Signaled Session Down.

Please let me know what is the recommended approach in this case, so that we
maintain right state/diag code on peer, even if we loose some packets.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jagrati Shringi,
Senior Software engineer,
ECI Telecom.

---

From: "Nitin Bahadur" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 13:45:09 -0800

It would be nice if one would transmit packets for at least 1
detection-time period before ceasing 

packet transmission. One detection-time worth of packets would ensure
that the peer either receives

a packet (with correct diag) within that period or the peer times out
(as it would have done normally).

Nitin

My question is, this seem to be the only case in BFD where we will not
be able to maintain correct diagnostic on remote end, in case the packet
carrying this information is dropped. If the peer does not receive this
packet, it will move to down-state with Diag :Control Detection Time
Expired, instead of Neighbor Signaled Session Down. 
  
Please let me know what is the recommended approach in this case, so
that we maintain right state/diag code on peer, even if we loose some
packets.