Subject: BFD multipoint comments

From: "BISHNOI Sandeep" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 16:32:36 -0500

Hi Dave/Dave,

WRT section 4.8 - To identify a BFD session on a tail node for a
particular multipoint tree, the source address and MyDiscr must be used.

IMO - This has a limited application and may need some revamp like the
bootstrap mechanism in MPLS LSP BFD (you could piggyback BFD TLV on P2MP
OAM). Otherwise an operator would be forced to pick a MyDiscr for each
BFD session and multipoint tree combination and configure it on both
head and tail node.

"4.8. Discriminators and Packet Demultiplexing

   The use of Discriminators is somewhat different in Multipoint BFD
   than in Point-to-point BFD.

   The head sends Multipoint BFD Control packets over the MultipointHead
   session with My Discr set to a value bound to the multipoint tree,
   and with Your Discr set to zero.  The tails MUST demultiplex these
   packets based on a combination of the source address and My Discr,
   which together uniquely identify the head and the multipoint tree."

Thanks,
Sandeep

---

From: "BISHNOI Sandeep" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 17:31:58 -0500

Any comments???

Hi Dave/Dave,

Thanks,
Sandeep