Subject: Protocol Action: 'BFD for IPv4 and IPv6 (Single Hop)' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 16:15:09 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'BFD for IPv4 and IPv6 (Single Hop) '
   <draft-ietf-bfd-v4v6-1hop-10.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Bidirectional Forwarding Detection Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Ross Callon and Adrian Farrel.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-bfd-v4v6-1hop-10.txt

Technical Summary

   One very desirable application for BFD [BFD] is to track IPv4 and
   IPv6 connectivity between directly-connected systems.  This could be
   used to supplement the detection mechanisms in routing protocols, or
   to monitor router-host connectivity, among other applications.

   This document describes the use of the Bidirectional Forwarding
   Detection protocol over IPv4 and IPv6 for single IP hops.

Working Group Summary

   WG progress has been reported as being quite smooth. 

Document Quality

   The protocol is widely implemented and deployed and has become 
   part of common deployments on the internet. The drafts reflect
   the lessons learned from the deployed and operation. Multiple
   vendors have implemented and deployed BFD in operational networks. 

   The document has been updated based on Gen-Art and IETF Last Call
   comments, and based on IESG review. 

Personnel

   Dave Ward is the document shepherd. Ross Callon is the responsible
   Area Director.