Subject: Re: RFC 5880 on Bidirectional Forwarding Detection (BFD)

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 08:34:58 +0300 (EEST)

On Tue, 1 Jun 2010, [email-masked] wrote:
> A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.
>        RFC 5880
>
>        Title:      Bidirectional Forwarding Detection (BFD)
>        Author:     D. Katz, D. Ward
>        Status:     Standards Track
>        Stream:     IETF
>        Date:       June 2010
>        Mailbox:    [email-masked],
>                    [email-masked]
>        Pages:      49
>        Characters: 110279
>        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None
>
>        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-bfd-base-11.txt
>
>        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5880.txt

Congratulations. It has been a long road :-)

I can't resist the temptation of quoting a message *) from DaveK Jan 
2004:

>    The drafts state Category as Informational, but I think this
>    definitely should be Standards Track!

If we can find a way to progress the work without it being bogged down 
forever, and without it becoming watered down by the legions of folks 
that would like to change it, I don't have any objection. My 
experience over the years does not give me a lot of hope. [...]

And from AlexZ in Mar 2004 **):

  There has been some interest in having a more formal home for the BFD
  work, so we're creating a (hopefully) very focused and short-lived WG
  for it. Below is the proposed WG charter that Daves and I have
  crafted. Please read and comment.

Time flies :-)

* )http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rtg-bfd/current/msg00010.html
**) http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rtg-bfd/current/msg00019.html

---

From: Dave Katz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 11:58:57 -0600

You *did* have to bring that up.  <cough>

;-)

On the other hand, it's been deployed for nearly as long, so at least part of the intent was achieved...

Thanks to you and everyone else for your help...

--Dave

On Jun 1, 2010, at 11:34 PM, Pekka Savola wrote:

> I can't resist the temptation of quoting a message *) from DaveK Jan 2004:
> 
> If we can find a way to progress the work without it being bogged down forever, and without it becoming watered down by the legions of folks that would like to change it, I don't have any objection. My experience over the years does not give me a lot of hope. [...]
>

---

From: Adrian Farrel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2010 18:32:45 +0100

Pekka Savola sed...

> Congratulations. It has been a long road :-)

[SNIP]

> Time flies :-)

Yes, indeed. Like a banana!

Well done WG.

Adrian

---

From: Jeffrey Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 03:46:52 +0000

> Congratulations. It has been a long road :-)

It has indeed.

>  crafted. Please read and comment.

The group has been nicely focused and certainly not as brief as Alex had
suggested when the ADs asked if I'd pick up the co-chair job.  We got the
job done in fewer drafts than the last BGP spec rev even though sometimes I
didn't think we would.

Congratulations and thanks to all who have helped us turn out good
standards.

-- Jeff