Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-bfd-intervals-03.txt> (Common Interval Support in BFD) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 17:42:55 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Bidirectional Forwarding
Detection WG (bfd) to consider the following document:
- 'Common Interval Support in BFD'
  <draft-ietf-bfd-intervals-03.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2014-09-01. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   BFD requires that messages are transmitted at regular intervals and
   provides a way to negotiate the interval used by BFD peers.  Some BFD
   implementations may be restricted to only support several interval
   values.  When such BFD implementations speak to each other, there is
   a possibility of two sides not being able to find a common interval
   value to run BFD sessions.

   This document defines a small set of interval values for BFD that we
   call "Common intervals", and recommends implementations to support
   the defined intervals.  This solves the problem of finding an
   interval value that both BFD speakers can support while allowing a
   simplified implementation as seen for hardware-based BFD.  It does
   not restrict an implementation from supporting more intervals in
   addition to the Common intervals.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bfd-intervals/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bfd-intervals/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.