Subject: BFD Wiki updated

From: Jeffrey Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 12:54:17 -0500

http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/wg/bfd/trac/wiki/WikiStart

The BFD wiki page has been updated with current status as seen by the WG
chairs.  The Yang design team stuff needs to be filled out a bit more, but
that coordination may go via the overall RTG area yang coordination page.

-- Jeff

---

From: "Carlos Pignataro (cpignata)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 20:14:36 +0000

Jeff,

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wednesday, November 26, 2014 at 12:54 PM
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Subject: BFD Wiki updated

>that coordination may go via the overall RTG area yang coordination page.

What does it mean (in practice) that coordination may go via RtgYangCoord?
I¹d suggest that a first vector of coordination and alignment for BFD Yang
models would be LIME <http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/lime/charter/>, which
will kick off a design team very soon.

Thanks,

Carlos.

---

From: Jeffrey Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 18:21:06 -0500

Carlos,

On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 08:14:36PM +0000, Carlos Pignataro (cpignata) wrote:
> I?d suggest that a first vector of coordination and alignment for BFD Yang

LIME and BFD will obviously end up coordinating in the end - at least if we
manage to convince ourselves that LIME covers BFD appropriately.  

But even so, I'll keep pressuring everyone (in all WG) to coordinate through
the wiki and the rtg-yang-coord mailing list.  Even this early in the Yang
efforts and it's pretty clear that many people are inventing the same
wheels. :-)

-- Jeff

---

From: "Carlos Pignataro (cpignata)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 23:32:05 +0000

Jeff,

Please see inline. 

Thumb typed by Carlos Pignataro.
Excuze typofraphicak errows

> On Nov 26, 2014, at 6:21 PM, Jeffrey Haas <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Carlos,
> 
> LIME and BFD will obviously end up coordinating in the end -

My point is that I'd rather we have this coordination in the beginning and not in the end. 

> at least if we

Or better -- contribute to the LIME effort to ensure (and not hope) that this happens.

I do see this starting to happen already, but I too sense brittleness in multi degree coordination. 

> the wiki and the rtg-yang-coord mailing list.  

I completely agree with this.

> Even this early in the Yang

Indeed! My point is that we should not reinvent an oam protocol yang model (like BFD's) that cannot use the generic yang oam model (from LIME) -- as that would be preventable wheel re-inventing. 

-- Carlos.