Subject: Protocol Action: 'Seamless Bidirectional Forwarding Detection (S-BFD)' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-bfd-seamless-base-11.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2016 12:18:57 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Seamless Bidirectional Forwarding Detection (S-BFD)'
  (draft-ietf-bfd-seamless-base-11.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Bidirectional Forwarding Detection
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Alia Atlas and Deborah
Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bfd-seamless-base/

Technical Summary

   This document defines a simplified mechanism to use Bidirectional
   Forwarding Detection (BFD) with large portions of negotiation aspects
   eliminated, thus providing benefits such as quick provisioning as
   well as improved control and flexibility to network nodes initiating
   the path monitoring.

Working Group Summary

   This document was discussed at length with significant participation of the
   active members of the Bidirectional Forwarding Detection (BFD) Working
   Group.  The use cases are seen to enable the use of core BFD technologies in
   a fashion that leverages existing implementations and protocol machinery
   while providing a simplified and largely stateless infrastructure for
   continuity testing.  The high participation of the Working Group has ensured
   that the technical aspects of this mechanism have been thoroughly discussed.

Document Quality

   This document has been subject to multiple Working Group reviews and
   includes participation from several large vendors.  Many of these vendors 
   have implementations in progress for this feature.

Personnel

   Document Shepherd: Jeffrey Haas, co-chair BFD.
   Responsible Area Director: Alvaro Retana.