Subject: [[email-masked]: I-D Action: draft-haas-bfd-large-packets-00.txt]

From: Jeffrey Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2018 12:19:48 -0400

Working Group,

A trivial draft I'm hoping to present in the upcoming BFD session if there's
time.

----- Forwarded message from [email-masked] -----

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : BFD Encapsulated in Large Packets
        Authors         : Jeffrey Haas
                          Albert Fu
	Filename        : draft-haas-bfd-large-packets-00.txt
	Pages           : 5
	Date            : 2018-03-19

Abstract:
   The Bidirectional Forwarding Detection (BFD) protocol is commonly
   used to verify connectivity between two systems.  BFD packets are
   typically very small.  It is desirable in some circumstances to know
   that not only is the path between two systems reachable, but also
   that it is capable of carrying a payload of a particular size.  This
   document discusses thoughts on how to implement such a mechanism
   using BFD in Asynchronous mode.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-haas-bfd-large-packets/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-haas-bfd-large-packets-00
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-haas-bfd-large-packets-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

----- End forwarded message -----

---

From: Greg Mirsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2018 10:40:00 +0000

Hi Jeff,
thank you for bringing up for discussion this interesting proposal. A
question and a comment ahead of the meeting to save us time:

   - which applications will benefit from monitoring path MTU (PMTU) rather
   from using PMTU discovery and updating the value;
   - note that "The Don't Fragment bit (Section 2.3 of [RFC0791]) of the IP
   payload, when using IP encapsulations, MUST be set." is only applicable to
   IPv4 environment as IPv6 does not allow IP fragmentation.

Regards,
Greg

---

From: PFFC JHAAS <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2018 11:30:20 +0000

Thanks for your comments, Greg. 

Non tcp applications like financial stuff are an excellent example. 

Jeff

> On Mar 20, 2018, at 10:40, Greg Mirsky <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Hi Jeff,
> thank you for bringing up for discussion this interesting proposal. A question and a comment ahead of the meeting to save us time:
> which applications will benefit from monitoring path MTU (PMTU) rather from using PMTU discovery and updating the value;
> note that "The Don't Fragment bit (Section 2.3 of [RFC0791]) of the IP payload, when using IP encapsulations, MUST be set." is only applicable to IPv4 environment as IPv6 does not allow IP fragmentation.
> Regards,
> Greg
>