Subject: BFD WGLC for draft-ietf-bfd-vxlan; BESS input solicited

From: Jeffrey Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2018 09:01:46 -0500

BESS Working Group members,

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-bfd-vxlan-04

BFD has finished working group last call on BFD for Vxlan and is about ready
to request publication as an RFC.  A last minute comment suggested that we
should consider inviting comment from your working group for expertise.

We will be leaving the last call open until December 21 to leave time for
final comments.

-- Jeff (for BFD)

---

From: Anoop Ghanwani <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2018 10:08:23 -0800

I would change the introduction to the following to mention the use of
VXLAN by BGP EVPN.

Thanks,
Anoop

==

   "Virtual eXtensible Local Area Network" (VXLAN) [RFC7348] provides
   an encapsulation scheme that allows building an overlay network by
   decoupling the address space of the attached virtual hosts from that
   of the network.

  One use of VXLAN is in data centers interconnecting
  VMs of a tenant.  VXLAN addresses requirements of the
   Layer 2 and Layer 3 data center network infrastructure in the
   presence of VMs in a multi-tenant environment, discussed in section 3
   of [RFC7348], by providing Layer 2 overlay scheme on a Layer 3 network.
   Another use is as an encapsulation for EVPN [RFC 8365].

  In the remainder of this document the terms VM and End Station
  are used interchangeably.

   In the absence of a router in the overlay, a VM can communicate with
   another VM only if they are on the same VXLAN segment.  VMs are
   unaware of VXLAN tunnels as a VXLAN tunnel is terminated on a VXLAN
   Tunnel End Point (VTEP) (hypervisor/TOR).  VTEPs (hypervisor/TOR) are
   responsible for encapsulating and decapsulating frames exchanged
   among VMs.

On Wed, Dec 12, 2018 at 6:02 AM Jeffrey Haas <[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> BESS mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bess

---

From: Greg Mirsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2018 20:16:59 +0000

Hi Anoop,
thank you for your comments and the suggested text. To clarify the extent
of the update, would the following accurately reflect the change in
Introduction you're proposing:
OLD TEXT:
   VXLAN is typically deployed in data centers interconnecting
   virtualized hosts of a tenant.  VXLAN addresses requirements of the
   Layer 2 and Layer 3 data center network infrastructure in the
   presence of VMs in a multi-tenant environment, discussed in section 3
   [RFC7348], by providing Layer 2 overlay scheme on a Layer 3 network.
NEW TEXT:
  One use of VXLAN is in data centers interconnecting
  VMs of a tenant.  VXLAN addresses requirements of the
   Layer 2 and Layer 3 data center network infrastructure in the
   presence of VMs in a multi-tenant environment, discussed in section 3
   of [RFC7348], by providing Layer 2 overlay scheme on a Layer 3 network.
   Another use is as an encapsulation for EVPN [RFC 8365].

If my understanding of the proposed update is correct, I'd be glad to use
it (adding RFC 8365 as Informational reference).  Should note that in the
draft we never used "End Station". Perhaps the last sentence is not
required.

What do you think?

Regards,
Greg

---

From: Anoop Ghanwani <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2018 22:53:54 -0800

Hi Greg,

Yes this captures what I was trying to get added.

Perhaps the last sentence can be changed to:

"This document is written assuming the use of VXLAN for virtualized
hosts and refers to VMs and VTEPs in hypervisors.  However, the
concepts are equally applicable to non-virtualized hosts attached to
VTEPs in switches."

Thanks,
Anoop

On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 12:17 PM Greg Mirsky <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Hi Anoop,
> thank you for your comments and the suggested text. To clarify the extent of the update, would the following accurately reflect the change in Introduction you're proposing:
> OLD TEXT:
> If my understanding of the proposed update is correct, I'd be glad to use it (adding RFC 8365 as Informational reference).  Should note that in the draft we never used "End Station". Perhaps the last sentence is not required.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Regards,
> Greg
>
> On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 10:08 AM Anoop Ghanwani <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>

---

From: "Reshad Rahman (rrahman)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2018 13:18:59 +0000

+1 to Anoop's comments. I've made similar comment to Greg privately, and Anoop's proposed text clears things up.

Regards,
Reshad (no hat).

On 2018-12-19, 1:54 AM, "Rtg-bfd on behalf of Anoop Ghanwani" <[email-masked] on behalf of [email-masked]> wrote:

    Hi Greg,

    
    
    Thanks,
    Anoop

---

From: Greg Mirsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2018 06:28:40 -0800

Hi Anoop,
thank you for the great text you've contributed. Accepted. I'll update the
working text and publish later today.

Kind regards,
Greg

On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 5:19 AM Reshad Rahman (rrahman) <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> On 2018-12-19, 1:54 AM, "Rtg-bfd on behalf of Anoop Ghanwani" <
> [email-masked] on behalf of [email-masked]> wrote:
>
>     Hi Greg,
>
>     > thank you for your comments and the suggested text. To clarify the
> extent of the update, would the following accurately reflect the change in
>     > If my understanding of the proposed update is correct, I'd be glad
> to use it (adding RFC 8365 as Informational reference).  Should note that
> in the draft we never used "End Station". Perhaps the last sentence is not
> required.
>     >
>     > What do you think?
>     >
>     > Regards,
>     > Greg
>     >

---

From: Greg Mirsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2018 07:01:20 -0800

Hi Anoop, et al.,
appreciate your check of the final version of the update to the draft.
Below is the new text as in the working version:
   One use of VXLAN is in data centers interconnecting VMs of a tenant.
   VXLAN addresses requirements of the Layer 2 and Layer 3 data center
   network infrastructure in the presence of VMs in a multi-tenant
   environment, discussed in section 3 [RFC7348], by providing Layer 2
   overlay scheme on a Layer 3 network.  Another use is as an
   encapsulation for Ethernet VPN [RFC8365].

   This document is written assuming the use of VXLAN for virtualized
   hosts and refers to VMs and VTEPs in hypervisors.  However, the
   concepts are equally applicable to non-virtualized hosts attached to
   VTEPs in switches.

Kind regards,
Greg

---

From: Anoop Ghanwani <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2018 09:41:44 -0800

Greg,

This is fine.

Thanks,
Anoop

On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 7:01 AM Greg Mirsky <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Hi Anoop, et al.,
> appreciate your check of the final version of the update to the draft. Below is the new text as in the working version:
>> thank you for the great text you've contributed. Accepted. I'll update the working text and publish later today.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Greg
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 5:19 AM Reshad Rahman (rrahman) <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>>