Subject: Non-assertion covenant term for an IPR disclosure

From: Greg Mirsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2019 18:52:21 +0100

Dear All,
as promised, below is an example of a non-assertion covenant statement that
may be used in the Licensing information section of the IETF's IPR
Disclosure form:
If any claim of any patent owned or controlled by XXX or its Affiliates is
essential on a technical ground to the standard adopted by IETF, XXX on
behalf of itself and its Affiliates hereby covenant not to assert any such
claim against any party for making, using, selling, offering for sale or
importing a product that implements the corresponding part of the standard.
However, nothing herein shall preclude XXX or any of its Affiliates from
asserting the above-mentioned patent claims against any party that asserts
directly or indirectly a patent it owns or controls against XXX and/or its
Affiliates, or against any products of XXX or its Affiliates either alone
or in combination with other products.
FRAND royalty-bearing licenses will be available to anyone who prefers that
option.
Of course, you can find more examples among many of the IPR Disclosures
that use the covenant licensing terms in their IPR Dislosures.

Hope this will be helpful.

Regards,
Greg