Subject: Update to BFD over VXLAN

From: Greg Mirsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2019 10:41:46 +0800

Dear All,
as was decided at the meeting, an explanation of using an address from the
Internal host loopback interface address range has been added into the
Security Consideration section:
NEW TEXT:
   This document recommends using an address from the Internal host
   loopback addresses range as the destination IP address in the inner
   IP header. Using such address prevents the forwarding of the
   encapsulated BFD control message by a transient node in case the
   VXLAN tunnel is broken as according to [RFC1812]:

      A router SHOULD NOT forward, except over a loopback interface, any
      packet that has a destination address on network 127.  A router
      MAY have a switch that allows the network manager to disable these
      checks.  If such a switch is provided, it MUST default to
      performing the checks.

Welcome your comments and suggestions. If the update is acceptable, will
upload the new version.

Attached are the diff and the working version of the draft.

Regards,
Greg
.

---

From: Jeffrey Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2019 15:30:55 -0500

Greg,

>       checks.  If such a switch is provided, it MUST default to

I think the text above is largely right.

There's a slight level of ambiguity since elsewhere in the document, we
don't use the RFC 4379 notation, i.e. 0:0:0:0:0:FFFF:127/104:

:
: loopback addresses (127/8 range for IPv4 and
:    0:0:0:0:0:FFFF:7F00:0/104 range for IPv6).

I think if you explicitly call it out in the 7400 format, we may be all set.

-- Jeff

---

From: Greg Mirsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2019 13:21:53 -0800

Hi Jeff,
thank you for your suggestion. I've updated the text and will publish the
new version of the draft shortly.

Regards,
Greg