Subject: Before leaving: making rtg-dir work again

From: Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 23:52:42 -0800

Guys,

 One thing I always wanted to do before I finish my AD terms was to make
 the rtg-dir actually work.

 They way I see it, rtg-dir has two main functions:

   1. help in document review for RTG docs and those going through the IESG
   2. advise ADs on general direction, technical issues, etc.

 We had (1) work reasonably well while Bill and I were assigning documents
 explicitly for a review. We then wanted to make it more automated by
 asking WG chairs to send review requests to rtg-dir. I don't think this
 ever happened. Is it still a good idea? I think so, but would appreciate
 comments.

 We had (2) work sometimes as well. This is a harder one to control, and I
 suspect it finally comes down to rtg-dir guys telling ADs they can count
 on them, and ADs not forgetting to consult the rtg-dir. Any other ideas?

 Should we think about rtg-dir folks shepherd BOFs?
 Anything else?

 Let's start the discussion and meet in Dallas to talk more.

-- 
Alex
http://www.psg.com/~zinin

---

From: David Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 07:09:40 -0800

Well, in any event, you'll be sorely missed. Thanks for
	the many years of service.

	Dave

---

From: Russ White <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 08:39:54 -0500

>  ever happened. Is it still a good idea? I think so, but would appreciate

Yes, definitely. I think most of us would like to help, but we're never 
certain where the right place to help actually is.

>  on them, and ADs not forgetting to consult the rtg-dir. Any other ideas?

Perhaps some sort of "automated working group discussion round?" I don't 
know, maybe rather than waiting for a draft to become a draft, ask 
someone to review newly acquired working group items and recharterings 
as they come in, rather than just drafts past last call in the WG? The 
charters might actually be more important, since they can show where and 
how the work the WG's are engaged in can mesh.

:-)

Russ