Subject: [Rtg-yang-coord] Multiple drafts for yang models, design teams and IETF collaboration

From: Jeffrey Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 10:25:30 -0400

I'd like to make a brief post about a topic that has generated some
unexpected heat in a few working groups I am involved in: Multiple groups
submitting yang models against IETF protocols.

Currently, many working groups have either formal or informal design teams
created to work on protocol specific yang modules.  We have also seen
similar drafts covering modeling for those same protocols appear as
individual contributions.  Those individual contributions have either been
as actual proposals or sometimes used as references upon which to base other
work where some proposal was needed.

We were already aware that there has been some lack of visibility on the
ongoing work.  That was a strong motivator for creating this mailing list
and seeding the wiki with some initial content.

While there is often a sense of "ownership" of work, supported by the
charters of working groups. the IETF isn't in the business of asking people
to not publish drafts.  If someone has a proposal to make, that is the form
we ask them to make it in.  After that, it is the business of the working
group to consider additional proposals and whether to supplant existing work
or whether to integrate it.

Minimally, what we should do is realize that additional people are
interested in working on a topic (yay!) and make sure that all of the
involved parties are aware of each other.

Contributors are reminded that once a draft has been adopted by a working
group, it "belongs" to the group.  While there is a strong tradition of
having the original submitters continue work on it, the fate of the
contributions goes to WG consensus.  (See RFC 7221, for example.)
Therefore the sense of "ownership" of the contribution really should be
seen as "do good work for the IETF" rather than "my draft".

In conclusion, don't let your first feels on seeing a "competing" draft be
concern that things are motivated by politics.  Instead, treat them as the
gift they are - additional opinions from people motivated to Do The Work.

-- Jeff (speaking as an individual contributor)