Subject: [Rtg-yang-coord] Very active discussion and coordination of YANG models is needed

From: Alia Atlas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 18:05:16 -0400

First, I am absolutely delighted to discover that this coordination list
has 139 subscribers!  I am quite encouraged that we will be able to use
this mailing list for meaningful discussion and coordination.  Welcome and
please start talking!

Towards that purpose...

With a few WG drafts and over 20 individual drafts that may overlap and
should share some common abstractions and groupings, we really need to
start coordinating.   This is a significant explosion of drafts and
interest in the last 9 months - and we are interacting, at least in part,
with a community that NEEDS standardization to happen much more quickly.

Adrian, Benoit, and I are planning on writing up a job description for a
secretary to help with this mailing list and the coordination and
communication necessary.  Needless to say, if you would already like to
volunteer, please email me with details.

To aid in finding the various YANG models that relate to routing in some
way, I've included a list below.  This list was generated by looking
through a search of drafts based on the keyword YANG plus a couple I2RS
drafts I was already familiar with.  I apologize if I missed any (and
encourage consistent naming ).

draft-ietf-netmod-routing-cfg-15
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-netmod-routing-cfg/>
draft-ietf-isis-yang-isis-cfg-00
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-isis-yang-isis-cfg/>
draft-ietf-i2rs-rib-info-model-03
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-i2rs-rib-info-model/> (YANG
model coming very soon)

draft-bogdanovic-netmod-acl-model-02
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-bogdanovic-netmod-acl-model/> (more
general than routing, so currently progressing in NETMOD)
draft-chen-mpls-ldp-yang-cfg-00
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-chen-mpls-ldp-yang-cfg/>
draft-chen-mpls-te-yang-cfg-00
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-chen-mpls-te-yang-cfg/>
draft-clemm-i2rs-yang-network-topo-01
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-clemm-i2rs-yang-network-topo/>
draft-contreras-supa-yang-network-topo-00
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-contreras-supa-yang-network-topo/>
(targeted
at an unapproved BoF, overlap with I2RS)
draft-dong-i2rs-l2-network-topology-00
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-dong-i2rs-l2-network-topology/>
draft-gandhi-mpls-te-yang-model-00
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-gandhi-mpls-te-yang-model/>
draft-hao-trill-yang-01
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-hao-trill-yang/> (may be
interesting to consider from the ISIS overlap)
draft-hares-i2rs-bgp-dm-00
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-hares-i2rs-bgp-dm/>
draft-liu-netmod-yang-abstract-topo-00
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-liu-netmod-yang-abstract-topo/>
(another
topology model)
draft-liu-pim-igmp-mld-yang-00
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-liu-pim-igmp-mld-yang/>
draft-liu-pim-yang-00 <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-liu-pim-yang/>
draft-penno-sfc-yang-08
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-penno-sfc-yang/>
draft-pkd-pce-pcep-yang-00
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-pkd-pce-pcep-yang/>
draft-tissa-nvo3-yang-oam-00
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-tissa-nvo3-yang-oam/>
draft-wang-i2rs-isis-dm-00
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-wang-i2rs-isis-dm/>
draft-wang-i2rs-ospf-dm-00
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-wang-i2rs-ospf-dm/>
draft-yang-trill-parent-seletion-03
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-yang-trill-parent-seletion/>
draft-yeung-netmod-ospf-02
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-yeung-netmod-ospf/>
draft-zhang-mpls-tp-yang-oam-00
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-zhang-mpls-tp-yang-oam/>
draft-zhang-nvo3-yang-cfg-00
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-zhang-nvo3-yang-cfg/>
draft-zhdankin-netmod-bgp-cfg-01
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-zhdankin-netmod-bgp-cfg/>
draft-zhuang-l2vpn-evpn-yang-cfg-00
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-zhuang-l2vpn-evpn-yang-cfg/>
draft-zhuang-l2vpn-yang-cfg-00
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-zhuang-l2vpn-yang-cfg/>
draft-zhuang-l3vpn-yang-cfg-00
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-zhuang-l3vpn-yang-cfg/>

I hope that reading some of the above (at least
draft-ietf-netmod-routing-cfg-15
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-netmod-routing-cfg/>) will
start to inspire ideas and concrete discussion about what coordination
between models and drafts is needed.

Thanks,
Alia

---

From: Robert Raszuk <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2014 00:12:24 +0200

Hello Alia,

Wonderful summary !

One question ... is all/any work of Howard Yang from Cisco automatically
classified as YANG model as well ;)

Cheers,
R.

On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 12:05 AM, Alia Atlas <[email-masked]> wrote:

> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-contreras-supa-yang-network-topo/> (targeted
> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-liu-netmod-yang-abstract-topo/> (another
> topology model)
> draft-liu-pim-yang-00
> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-liu-pim-yang/>
> draft-penno-sfc-yang-08
> _______________________________________________
> Rtg-yang-coord mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rtg-yang-coord
>
>

---

From: Alia Atlas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 18:14:18 -0400

Hi Robert,

> Wonderful summary !

Thanks!

> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-yang-trill-parent-seletion/>

I skipped over that because it didn't seem related to routing (ISIS) but
draft-hao-trill-yang-01
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-hao-trill-yang/>
made it in.

Sadly, I totally failed to notice that it was on the list because of the
author's last name!

Absurdly yours,
Alia

---

From: "Matt Hartley (mhartley)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2014 02:04:41 +0000

Alia,

draft-dharini-netmod-g-698-2-yang-00 should probably go on the list.

Cheers

Matt

First, I am absolutely delighted to discover that this coordination list has 139 subscribers!  I am quite encouraged that we will be able to use this mailing list for meaningful discussion and coordination.  Welcome and please start talking!

Towards that purpose...

With a few WG drafts and over 20 individual drafts that may overlap and should share some common abstractions and groupings, we really need to start coordinating.   This is a significant explosion of drafts and interest in the last 9 months - and we are interacting, at least in part, with a community that NEEDS standardization to happen much more quickly.

Adrian, Benoit, and I are planning on writing up a job description for a secretary to help with this mailing list and the coordination and communication necessary.  Needless to say, if you would already like to volunteer, please email me with details.

To aid in finding the various YANG models that relate to routing in some way, I've included a list below.  This list was generated by looking through a search of drafts based on the keyword YANG plus a couple I2RS drafts I was already familiar with.  I apologize if I missed any (and encourage consistent naming ).

draft-ietf-netmod-routing-cfg-15<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-netmod-routing-cfg/>
draft-ietf-isis-yang-isis-cfg-00<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-isis-yang-isis-cfg/>
draft-ietf-i2rs-rib-info-model-03<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-i2rs-rib-info-model/> (YANG model coming very soon)

draft-bogdanovic-netmod-acl-model-02<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-bogdanovic-netmod-acl-model/> (more general than routing, so currently progressing in NETMOD)
draft-chen-mpls-ldp-yang-cfg-00<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-chen-mpls-ldp-yang-cfg/>
draft-chen-mpls-te-yang-cfg-00<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-chen-mpls-te-yang-cfg/>
draft-clemm-i2rs-yang-network-topo-01<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-clemm-i2rs-yang-network-topo/>
draft-contreras-supa-yang-network-topo-00<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-contreras-supa-yang-network-topo/> (targeted at an unapproved BoF, overlap with I2RS)
draft-dong-i2rs-l2-network-topology-00<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-dong-i2rs-l2-network-topology/>
draft-gandhi-mpls-te-yang-model-00<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-gandhi-mpls-te-yang-model/>
draft-hao-trill-yang-01<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-hao-trill-yang/> (may be interesting to consider from the ISIS overlap)
draft-hares-i2rs-bgp-dm-00<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-hares-i2rs-bgp-dm/>
draft-liu-netmod-yang-abstract-topo-00<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-liu-netmod-yang-abstract-topo/> (another topology model)
draft-liu-pim-igmp-mld-yang-00<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-liu-pim-igmp-mld-yang/>
draft-liu-pim-yang-00<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-liu-pim-yang/>
draft-penno-sfc-yang-08<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-penno-sfc-yang/>
draft-pkd-pce-pcep-yang-00<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-pkd-pce-pcep-yang/>
draft-tissa-nvo3-yang-oam-00<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-tissa-nvo3-yang-oam/>
draft-wang-i2rs-isis-dm-00<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-wang-i2rs-isis-dm/>
draft-wang-i2rs-ospf-dm-00<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-wang-i2rs-ospf-dm/>
draft-yang-trill-parent-seletion-03<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-yang-trill-parent-seletion/>
draft-yeung-netmod-ospf-02<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-yeung-netmod-ospf/>
draft-zhang-mpls-tp-yang-oam-00<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-zhang-mpls-tp-yang-oam/>
draft-zhang-nvo3-yang-cfg-00<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-zhang-nvo3-yang-cfg/>
draft-zhdankin-netmod-bgp-cfg-01<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-zhdankin-netmod-bgp-cfg/>
draft-zhuang-l2vpn-evpn-yang-cfg-00<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-zhuang-l2vpn-evpn-yang-cfg/>
draft-zhuang-l2vpn-yang-cfg-00<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-zhuang-l2vpn-yang-cfg/>
draft-zhuang-l3vpn-yang-cfg-00<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-zhuang-l3vpn-yang-cfg/>

I hope that reading some of the above (at least draft-ietf-netmod-routing-cfg-15<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-netmod-routing-cfg/>) will start to inspire ideas and concrete discussion about what coordination between models and drafts is needed.

Thanks,
Alia

---

From: Alia Atlas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 22:44:45 -0400

Hi Matt,

Thanks.  I guess that might fall under CCAMP.   Not closely following
CCAMP, I wasn't sure if it was well connected.

Alia

---

From: "BRUNGARD, DEBORAH A" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2014 14:33:58 +0000

Thanks Matt-
Yes, this should fall under ccamp-

Deborah
(Co-chair CCAMP)

From: Rtg-yang-coord [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Alia Atlas
Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2014 10:45 PM
To: Matt Hartley (mhartley)
Cc: [email-masked]; Benoit Claise (bclaise)
Subject: Re: [Rtg-yang-coord] Very active discussion and coordination of YANG models is needed

Hi Matt,

Thanks.  I guess that might fall under CCAMP.   Not closely following CCAMP, I wasn't sure if it was well connected.

Alia

On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 10:04 PM, Matt Hartley (mhartley) <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
Alia,

Cheers

Matt

Towards that purpose...

Thanks,
Alia