Subject: [Rtg-yang-coord] Fwd: [Yang-coord] YANG Model Coordination Group directory closure

From: Alia Atlas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2016 12:04:25 -0400

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 11:35 AM
Subject: [Yang-coord] YANG Model Coordination Group directory closure
To: IETF-Discussion list <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]" <
[email-masked]>

Dear all,

The YANG Model Coordination Group
<http://www.ietf.org/iesg/directorate/yang-model-coordination-group.html>
has been a success, and has served its purpose.

The plan and the time commitment (each person committed to spend 1/3 of his
time) for this group were ambitious:

   - Phase 1: List of the YANG models (inventory)
   - Phase 2: Tooling
   - Phase 3: Help with compilation
   - Phase 4: Training & Education
   - Phase 5: Coordination across SDOs/Opensource
   - Phase 6: Model Coordination within the IETF
   - Phase 7: Standardization Priorities

Let's review the achievements. Quiet impressive for a couple of volunteers
if you ask me.

Phase 1: List of the YANG models (inventory)
    Extracted all YANG data models from IETF drafts and RFCs on
http://www.claise.be/
    Started to work on YANG data model catalog for the industry

Phase 2: Tooling
    YANG data models extraction from drafts/RFCs
    YANG data models dependency visualization
    YANG data model grouping extraction and compilation
    Created http://www.yangvalidator.org/
    pyang integration in idnits/tracker
    pyang plugin for the YANG data model catalog
    Along the process we filed a couple of pyang bugs
    Organized the YANG track at the IETF Hackathon
    etc.

Phase 3: Help with compilation
    Proactively contacted the IETF draft authors, discussing their compilation
error messages <http://www.claise.be/IETFYANGPageCompilation.html>
    Kept track of the situation here
<https://trac.tools.ietf.org/area/ops/trac/wiki/YangCoordModelExtractionandCompilation>
    Flagged the duplicate YANG module names, groupings, etc.

Phase 4: Training & Education
    Created some training materials, presented at IETF94
    NETCONF Slides
<http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/slides-edu-network-configuration-with-netconf/>,
YANG Slides
<http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/slides-edu-network-configuration-with-yang/>,
pyang Slides <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/slides-edu-pyang-tutorial/>

Phase 5: Coordination across SDOs/Opensource
    Coordinated with the IEEE/MEF/BBF, amongst others
    Worked on the YANG Data Model Classification,
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-netmod-yang-model-classification/>
accepted as NETMOD WG document
    Based on github, we're compiling the IEEE/BBF/Opendaylight/openconfig
data models <http://www.claise.be/YANGPageMain.html>
    Helped on URN for different SDOs
    YANG Modeling Efforts in the Industry
<https://trac.tools.ietf.org/area/ops/trac/wiki/YANGModelingEffortsinTheIndustry>

Phase 6: Model Coordination within the IETF
    We helped with the coordination, even if the YANG routing design team
    contributed significantly for the routing aspects.

Phase 7: Standardization Priorities
    This is maybe where we haven't had enough time to dedicate,
    even if we have identified the next steps.
    See YANG Data Models in the Industry: Current State of Affairs
<https://www.ietf.org/blog/2016/03/yang-data-models-in-the-industry-current-state-of-affairs/>

I probably missed some of the achievements. Sorry about that.

Let's analyze the current situation!
It's difficult, in a voluntary-based organization to dedicate so much time
on this YANG effort. On the other hand, this group efforts helped with the
heavy-lifting job to promote YANG in the industry. Thanks for that. These
days, even if it doesn't translate yet in many RFC numbers, YANG became a
mature technology, which can now rely on a bigger community.
I expect that the YANG doctors
<https://www.ietf.org/iesg/directorate/yang-doctors.html> to take over some
of the effort here, helping with the proactive review of YANG data models.
More on this later.
Regarding the tooling aspects, the IETF hackathon will continue to play an
important role: a couple of people signed up already

Thanks to Carl, Dean, and Qin as YANG Model Coordination Group members, and
to many others who helped directly or indirectly.

I will now request to close this directorate.

Regards, Benoit (OPS AD)

_______________________________________________
Yang-coord mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/yang-coord