Subject: [Rtg-yang-coord] Reorganizing & updating the Routing Yang Architecture Design Team

From: Alia Atlas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2016 13:07:54 -0400

In March 2015, I created the Routing Yang Architecture Design Team and
specified a charter
<https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/routing-discussion/current/msg02000.html>
.
The Design Team has done some excellent work helping to steer and define
the work being done.  This includes draft-ietf-rtgwg-device-model-00
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-rtgwg-device-model/>,
draft-ietf-rtgwg-lne-model-00
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-rtgwg-lne-model/>, and
draft-ietf-rtgwg-ni-model-00
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-rtgwg-ni-model/> as well as
identifying issues and work needed to be done in NetMod around improving
YANG, such as schema mount and opstate/revised datastores.

At this point, 17 months in, it is time to reorganize the DT a bit, set
additional goals, say thank you to some members and add some others who are
interested.

Going forward, the Design Team will focus on:

*Conventions as specified in the original charter* : Common conventions and
use of YANG   functionality in similar ways can help make the interactions
of models easier to understand.  RFC 6087 provides some guidance; an update
is underway now in draft-ietf-netmod-rfc6087bis.  If the design team has
recommendations for how the models should be written, those which are not
routing-specific can be written down and discussed in netmod.

*Ideas for how to handle extensions and features as specified in the
original charter*:

It is also important to consider how future extensibility and features in
Routing Area work will need to be captured inYANG models.  While the IETF
is busy developing YANG models, we are still working on new routing area
features and technology.  The design team should publish and maintain best
current practices for how new features can easily augment existing YANG models
so that authors of those new features and technologies can understand how
to consider YANG modeling.

*Classification*:  The ability to specify metadata for classification and
manipulation of models is being defined in draft-ietf-netmod-yang-mode
l-classification-02
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-netmod-yang-model-classification/>.
The DT will suggest classifications for Routing Area YANG models and
encourage consistency.

*Support work based on requirements*:  The DT will continue to support work
based on requirements from its previous work.  Examples of such work
include
draft-ietf-netmod-schema-mount-02
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-netmod-schema-mount/> and
opstate/revised datastores.

*Progress WG Drafts authored*:  The DT and the specific draft authors will
push to publication of the existing drafts: draft-ietf-rtgwg-device-model-00
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-rtgwg-device-model/>,
draft-ietf-rtgwg-lne-model-00
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-rtgwg-lne-model/>, and
draft-ietf-rtgwg-ni-model-00
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-rtgwg-ni-model/> .

*Consistency of Models across the Routing Area*:  The DT will look at
YANG models
in the Routing Area and encourage that common parts be factored out into
reusable models.  The DT will look at how well the set of models will work
together and raise any related issues.  There will be a particular focus on
models expected to progress to RFC in the next 12 months.

*Device Profiles of Needed Models:*  Different devices will need different
sets of YANG models for common operations.  There have been some initial
drafts (e.g. draft-faq-netmod-cpe-yang-profile-00.txt
<https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-faq-netmod-cpe-yang-profile-00.txt>)
in this space.  The DTwill provide guidance for what is needed in a device
profile, as far as the Routing Area aspects, are concerned and facilitate
the creation of appropriate device profiles.  This should aid in
determining what groups of models are needed for practical use for
particular device roles.

The Design Team members will include:

Lou Berger <​[email-masked]>  (lead)
Acee Lindem <​[email-masked]>
Christian Hopps <​[email-masked]>
Dean Bogdanovic <​[email-masked]>
Rob Shakir <​[email-masked]>
Anees Shaikh <​[email-masked]>
Qin Wu <​[email-masked]>
Ebben Aries  <[email-masked]>
Yingzhen Qu <[email-masked]>
Xufeng Liu <[email-masked]>

I would like to thank Yan Gang and Stephane Litkowski for their willingness
to help and efforts over the last 17 months.

Regards,
Alia