Subject: [saag] Interested in chairing a WG? Let us know!

From: Benjamin Kaduk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2019 00:04:41 -0500

Dear all,
 
The security area has been fortunate enough in recent history to have a
solid pipeline of candidates for WG leadership positions, but we should not
grow complacent and come to rely on that continuing to be the case!  Roman
and I would like to have a pool of candidates to select from for any given
position.  Such a pool lets us tailor the match between the position, and
the skills and potential of the candidates in question.  I'm sending this
note to help make sure we've got the broadest pool available.  If you are
interested in chairing, please email us privately or find us at any
meeting.  (Co-chairing with an experienced chair is a great way to learn
more about the IETF and how to work here effectively!)  Even if you think
you're not quite ready but will eventually be interested, or cannot be a
chair right now but will want to be in the future if time/work commitments
change, please let us know that you're thinking about it as a possibility.
We can check back with you when an opportunity or three does arise.  (And
of course, if you're ready to start tomorrow, we want to hear about that,
too!)
 
On a related note, just as it's nice to have a pool of candidates to choose
from for a WG chair, the NomCom likes to have a pool of candidates when
finding ADs.  My term is up for selection this cycle.  Although I expect to
stand for a second term, I do think there's value in the NomCom having a
diverse pool, and I would be happy to see a group of qualified candidates
standing alongside me so the NomCom can make the best choice for the IETF.
If you are or might be interested, see
https://datatracker.ietf.org/nomcom/2019/.
 
Thanks, and looking forward to talking to you,
 
Ben