Subject: [Sandbox-mailoutput] [Django development] Internal WG Review: Autonomic Networking Integrated Model and Approach (anima)

From: IETF Secretariat <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2019 15:31:14 -0800

The attached message would have been sent, but the tracker is in development mode.
It was not sent to anybody.

Subject: Internal WG Review: Autonomic Networking Integrated Model and Approach (anima)
From: IETF Secretariat <[email-masked]>
To: "The IESG" <[email-masked]>, "The IAB" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2019 15:31:14 -0800

A new charter for the Autonomic Networking Integrated Model and Approach
(anima) WG in the Operations and Management Area of the IETF is being
considered.  The draft charter for this WG is provided below for your review
and comment.

Review time is one week.

The IETF Secretariat

Autonomic Networking Integrated Model and Approach (anima)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Current status: Active WG

Chairs:
  Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]>
  Sheng Jiang <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Ignas Bagdonas <[email-masked]>

Operations and Management Area Directors:
  Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>
  Ignas Bagdonas <[email-masked]>

Technical advisors:
  Nancy Cam-Winget <[email-masked]>

Mailing list:
  Address: [email-masked]
  To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/anima
  Archive: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/anima/

Charter: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-anima/

Version 2.0.1 (10/15/2018)
Proposed 2nd Charter for ANIMA Working Group

The Autonomic Networking Integrated Model and Approach (ANIMA) working
group is developing specifications and supporting documentation for
interoperable protocols, implementations and operational procedures for
automated network management and control mechanism for networks that are
developed, build and operated by professional personnel.

The vision of ANIMA is the fully self-CHOP network (Configure, Heal,
Optimize, Protect). The strategy is the incremental introduction of components
to make it easier to evolve existing and next-generation networks into that
direction including the evolution of DevOps for networks through the support
of more agile and modular developed and deployed networking automation.

The basis for ongoing work in ANIMA are the framework and components
developed by ANIMA so far, documented in draft-ietf-anima-reference-model.
Standalone work not relating to any component of this framework is welcome
for review, but WG adoption of such work will be done through explicit
rechartering.

The components developed so far in this ANIMA framework constitute the
Autonomic Networking Infrastructure (ANI): Autonomic Control Plane (ACP),
Bootstrap over Secure Key Infrastructures (BRSKI) including the concept
of Vouchers, and Generic Autonomic Signaling Protocol (GRASP) .

There are known gaps in this framework, including:

* Defining the domain boundary, membership of the domain
* Structure, life cycle, roles, authorisation and coordination of autonomic
service agents * Integration with Network Operations Centers and reporting
mechanisms * Information distribution within an autonomic network *
Interaction with YANG-based management mechanisms * Additional generic use
cases such as resource management or SLA assurance

ANIMA will work on these gaps and other aspects of the existing framework
(more details below).

There are long term issues that are not yet well enough understood to
consider specific technical solutions:

* Intent (high level policy)
* Tie in to machine learning and other AI techniques

ANIMA will not work on these issue without explicit rechartering.

ANIMA will
continue to work on fixes, extensions, variations and operational or
implementation detailing of the overall ANI and its components.
Examples of such work is not limited to, but includes:

* ANI OAMP interfaces (Operations, Administration, Management, Provisioning)
(e.g.: Yang models for the ANI) * Structuring ANI (virtualization,
compounding) * Variations of Voucher formats * BRSKI/Bootstrap protocol
aspects (different proxies, extensions for wireless) * Common GRASP
extensions for multiple use cases (Bulk transfer, DNS-SD compatible GRASP
objectives)

Autonomic Functions is the ANIMA framework term for distributed functions
leveraging the ANI (preferrably autonomically managed). The ANIMA working
group will consider work items to specify individual autonomic functions
including but not limited to:

* Standardized autonomic functions/use-cases such as autodiscovery of
(de)centraized services by ANI networks - such as those in Network Operations
Centers (NOC). * Autonomic Slice Management and Autonomic SLA management.

Work on ANI use cases and Autonomic Functions must
be detailled and complete enough to support implementation of solutions that
can be deployed and operated. Standards track is preferred, but more
exploratory experimental or informational work proposals will be
accepted based on the expected operational benefits.

Autonomic Software Agents are the ANIMA framework components representing
software moduels that implement Autonomic Functions. The ANIMA working
 group will consider work items relating to ASA and other aspects of
autonomic functions that are applicable independent of a specific
 Autonomic Function and its ASA. These work items include, but are
not limited to:

* Design/Implementer guidelines for ASA
* ASA Lifecycle management,
* ASA coordination/dependency resolution.

Acceptance of work items
will be based on the perceived value to implementors and/or operators.
Status of work can be standards track if the work includes normative
statements about node external interfaces (such as requirements for
Yang interfaces on ASA). Exploratory work in this area can be
experimental. Work describing node-internal only behavior will be
informational.

ANIMA will coordinate with other IETF working groups
and IRTF research groups and only accept work that is not better suited
for other groups. Examples include variations of components of the
ANI in a solutions owned by other working group (such
as 6TISCH for specific variations of BRSKI mechanisms),
details of ANI components owned by another working group
(e.g.: ROLL for the ACP used RPL protocol extensions/modifications),
NMRG for definition of Intent terminology and taxonomy, and DINRG for
definition of aspects of distributed autonomic functions not well enough
understood to allow adoption by ANIMA (note: pending on DINRG being
accepted as a RG).

Working group items accepted under this charter will be tracked through
milestones and have by default to be brought into WG last call in not more
than 4 IETF cycles. Work items expected to take longer time are subject
to AD approval.

Milestones: