Subject: [Sandbox-mailoutput] [Django development] Internal WG Review: Automated Certificate Management Environment (acme)

From: IETF Secretariat <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2019 09:42:32 -0700

The attached message would have been sent, but the tracker is in development mode.
It was not sent to anybody.

Subject: Internal WG Review: Automated Certificate Management Environment (acme)
From: IETF Secretariat <[email-masked]>
To: "The IESG" <[email-masked]>, "The IAB" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2019 09:42:32 -0700

A new charter for the Automated Certificate Management Environment (acme) WG
in the Security Area of the IETF is being considered.  The draft charter for
this WG is provided below for your review and comment.

Review time is one week.

The IETF Secretariat

Automated Certificate Management Environment (acme)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Current status: Active WG

Chairs:
  Yoav Nir <[email-masked]>
  Rich Salz <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Roman Danyliw <[email-masked]>

Security Area Directors:
  Benjamin Kaduk <[email-masked]>
  Roman Danyliw <[email-masked]>

Mailing list:
  Address: [email-masked]
  To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/acme
  Archive: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/acme/

Charter: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-acme/

Test!

Historically, issuance of certificates for Internet applications
(e.g., web servers) has involved many manual identity validation steps
by the certification authority (CA).  The ACME WG will specify
conventions for automated X.509 certificate management, including
validation of control over an identifier, certificate issuance,
certificate renewal, and certificate revocation.  The initial focus of
the ACME WG will be on domain name certificates (as used by web
servers), but other uses of certificates can be considered as work
progresses.

ACME certificate management must allow the CA to verify, in an
automated manner, that the party requesting a certificate has authority
over the requested identifiers, including the subject and subject
alternative names.  The processing must also confirm that the requesting
party has access to the private key that corresponds to the public key
that will appear in the certificate.  All of the processing must be done
in a manner that is compatible with common service deployment
environments, such as hosting environments.

ACME certificate management must, in an automated manner, allow an
authorized party to request revocation of a certificate.

The ACME working group is specifying ways to automate certificate
issuance, validation, revocation and renewal.  The ACME working
group is not reviewing or producing certificate policies or
practices.

The starting point for ACME WG discussions shall be draft-barnes-acme.

Milestones: