Subject: Re: kdbinteract-03

From: Darren Moffat <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 17:00:13 -0800 (PST)

>  - [3.1] Language tag deprecated in SSH_MSG_USERAUTH_REQUEST.
>
>    When originally written, ssh had no provision for language choice
>    (and didn't need it -- all protocol exchanges were byte codes).
>    However, the better place for this is in the transport, which
>    is where it is now.  So I want to deprecate use of it in kbdint.
>    The doc says it may be removed in the future, but I don't think
>    this is easily done if compatibility with existing implementations
>    is desired.  Can someone comment on that?

The problem with taking it out is there is another field after it,
I think at this stage since kbdint is widely deployed you would have
to change the SSH_MSG_USERAUTH_INFO_REQUEST to a new number and leave
the old one for backwards compat - similar to what was done for the
group exchange draft.  What you have in this revision is fine by me,
since it is clear that it can still be sent and and makes it clear
what the intent is when it is sent.

I assume you are just saying to remove it from SSH_MSG_USERAUTH_REQUEST
but not from SSH_MSG_USERAUTH_INFO_REQUEST the rest of the doc and the
examples seem to indicate this is your intent.

--
Darren J Moffat

---

From: Frank Cusack <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 17:42:17 -0800

> what the intent is when it is sent.

mmm... I don't know that it's really worth it to do that.  It's not as
if it is some significant flaw in the protocol.  Should I elide the text
saying it may be removed?

> examples seem to indicate this is your intent.

Correct.

/fc