Subject: Re: Additional thoughts on text transfers

From: Jeffrey Altman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 17:03:29 EST

> I see the chances of this helping more than it breaks as very slim. We
> might be able to handle EOL-conversion, but handling that alone
> doesn't help much, the user would still (likely) need to convert the
> text, so we may as well leave it be.
> 
> To me, the proper solution is to let the user convert the file if
> necessary, which, as Marcus pointed out and my own experiences tells
> me, is rather seldom nowadays.
> 

I think it is more to the point that the developers of SFTP rarely
perform transfers that require EOL conversion.  These are certainly
not my customers.  I don't believe that SFTP meets the requirements of
my customers but then my customers can use Kermit Protocol so I don't
feel so strongly about it.

 Jeffrey Altman * Sr.Software Designer      C-Kermit 8.0 available now!!!
 The Kermit Project @ Columbia University   includes Telnet, FTP and HTTP
 http://www.kermit-project.org/             secured with Kerberos, SRP, and 
 [email-masked]                OpenSSL. Interfaces with OpenSSH

---

From: Markus Friedl <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 00:05:54 +0200

On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 05:03:29PM -0500, Jeffrey Altman wrote:
> I don't believe that SFTP meets the requirements of

yes, it's easy. want something simple? use sftp.
want all the bells and whistles? use kermit.

---

From: Markus Friedl <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 00:13:01 +0200

On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 05:05:53PM -0500, Bill Sommerfeld wrote:
> [wg chair hat off]
> actually, sftp is really complex compared to scp.

but unlike scp it works for transfering files with newlines in the name
and it allows the client to select the files it wants to download ...

---

From: Bill Sommerfeld <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 17:05:53 -0500

[wg chair hat off]