Subject: URI for SSH

From: "Joseph Salowey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 20:19:43 -0700

It doesn't appear that a URI definition for SSH exisits.  

Do any vendors have support for invoking their SSH clients with a URI?  

Perhaps something like ssh://host:port@user ?

I think this would be useful.  If there is interest in this (escpecially
vendors that would like to implement it) I could put together a draft if
there wasn't a de-facto standard already. 

Thanks,

Joe

---

From: Jeffrey Altman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 01:19:32 -0400

Kermit 95 implements

  ssh://user:passphrase@host:port

which is modeled on the equivalent URI for FTP.

---

From: Simon Tatham <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 09:01:32 +0100

> there wasn't a de-facto standard already. 

There's interest!

The PuTTY team _frequently_ receives requests to implement something
like this, and we've been holding off on the grounds that we
wouldn't want a standard to come out later that we were subtly
incompatible with.

We would certainly implement an SSH URI scheme if one were
standardised, and we apparently have a great many users who would
like this to happen.

Cheers,
Simon
-- 
Simon Tatham         "The voices in my head are trying to ignore me.
<[email-masked]>    But if I keep talking, I can drive them insane."