Subject: draft-ietf-secsh-assignednumbers-03.txt

From: Darren J Moffat <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 16:47:18 -0700 (PDT)

Network Working Group                                        S. Lehtinen
Internet-Draft                          SSH Communications Security Corp
Expires: February 12, 2004                                     D. Moffat
                                                        Sun Microsystems
                                                         August 14, 2003

                     SSH Protocol Assigned Numbers
                draft-ietf-secsh-assignednumbers-03.txt

Status of this Memo

   This document is an Internet-Draft and is in full conformance with
   all provisions of Section 10 of RFC2026.

   Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
   Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups.  Note that
   other groups may also distribute working documents as Internet-
   Drafts.

   Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
   and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
   time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
   material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

   The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at
   http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt.

   The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
   http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.

   This Internet-Draft will expire on February 12, 2004.

Copyright Notice

   Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2003).  All Rights Reserved.

Abstract

   This document defines the initial state of the IANA assigned numbers
   for the SSH protocol as defined in [SSH-ARCH], [SSH-TRANS], [SSH-
   CONNECT], [SSH-USERAUTH].  Except for one HISTORIC algorithm
   generally regarded as obsolete, this document does not define any new
   protocols or any number ranges not already defined in the above
   referenced documents.  It is intended only for initalization of the
   IANA databases referenced in those documents.

Lehtinen & Moffat       Expires February 12, 2004               [Page 1]

Internet-Draft        SSH Protocol Assigned Numbers          August 2003

Table of Contents

   1.    Message Numbers  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  3
   1.1   Disconnect Codes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  4
   2.    Service Names  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  5
   2.1   Authentication Method Names  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  5
   2.2   Connection Protocol Assigned Names . . . . . . . . . . . . .  6
   2.2.1 Connection Protocol Channel Types  . . . . . . . . . . . . .  6
   2.2.2 Connection Protocol Global Request Names . . . . . . . . . .  6
   2.2.3 Connection Protocol Channel Request Names  . . . . . . . . .  6
   3.    Key Exchange Method Names  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  7
   4.    Assigned Algorithm Names . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  7
   4.1   Encryption Algorithm Names . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  7
   4.2   MAC Algorithm Names  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  8
   4.3   Public Key Algorithm Names . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  8
         References . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  8
         Authors' Addresses . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  9
         Full Copyright Statement . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10

Lehtinen & Moffat       Expires February 12, 2004               [Page 2]

Internet-Draft        SSH Protocol Assigned Numbers          August 2003

1. Message Numbers

   The Message Number is an 8-bit value, which describes the payload of
   a packet.

   Protocol packets have message numbers in the range 1 to 255.  These
   numbers have been allocated as follows in [SSH-ARCH]:

     Transport layer protocol:

       1 to 19    Transport layer generic (e.g. disconnect, ignore, debug, etc.)
       20 to 29   Algorithm negotiation
       30 to 49   Key exchange method specific (numbers can be reused for
                  different authentication methods)

     User authentication protocol:

       50 to 59   User authentication generic
       60 to 79   User authentication method specific (numbers can be
                  reused for different authentication methods)

     Connection protocol:

       80 to 89   Connection protocol generic
       90 to 127  Channel related messages

     Reserved for client protocols:

       128 to 191 Reserved

     Local extensions:

       192 to 255 Local extensions

   Requests for assignments of new message numbers must be accompanied
   by an RFC which describes the new packet type.  If the RFC is not on
   the standards-track (i.e.  it is an informational or experimental
   RFC), it must be explicitly reviewed and approved by the IESG before
   the RFC is published and the message number is assigned.

   Message ID                            Value    Reference
   -----------                           -----    ---------
   SSH_MSG_DISCONNECT                       1     [SSH-TRANS]
   SSH_MSG_IGNORE                           2     [SSH-TRANS]
   SSH_MSG_UNIMPLEMENTED                    3     [SSH-TRANS]
   SSH_MSG_DEBUG                            4     [SSH-TRANS]
   SSH_MSG_SERVICE_REQUEST                  5     [SSH-TRANS]

Lehtinen & Moffat       Expires February 12, 2004               [Page 3]

Internet-Draft        SSH Protocol Assigned Numbers          August 2003

   SSH_MSG_SERVICE_ACCEPT                   6     [SSH-TRANS]
   SSH_MSG_KEXINIT                         20     [SSH-TRANS]
   SSH_MSG_NEWKEYS                         21     [SSH-TRANS]
   SSH_MSG_KEXDH_INIT                      30     [SSH-TRANS]
   SSH_MSG_KEXDH_REPLY                     31     [SSH-TRANS]
   SSH_MSG_USERAUTH_REQUEST                50     [SSH-USERAUTH]
   SSH_MSG_USERAUTH_FAILURE                51     [SSH-USERAUTH]
   SSH_MSG_USERAUTH_SUCCESS                52     [SSH-USERAUTH]
   SSH_MSG_USERAUTH_BANNER                 53     [SSH-USERAUTH]
   SSH_MSG_USERAUTH_PK_OK                  60     [SSH-USERAUTH]
   SSH_MSG_GLOBAL_REQUEST                  80     [SSH-CONNECT]
   SSH_MSG_REQUEST_SUCCESS                 81     [SSH-CONNECT]
   SSH_MSG_REQUEST_FAILURE                 82     [SSH-CONNECT]
   SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_OPEN                    90     [SSH-CONNECT]
   SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_OPEN_CONFIRMATION       91     [SSH-CONNECT]
   SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_OPEN_FAILURE            92     [SSH-CONNECT]
   SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_WINDOW_ADJUST           93     [SSH-CONNECT]
   SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_DATA                    94     [SSH-CONNECT]
   SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_EXTENDED_DATA           95     [SSH-CONNECT]
   SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_EOF                     96     [SSH-CONNECT]
   SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_CLOSE                   97     [SSH-CONNECT]
   SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_REQUEST                 98     [SSH-CONNECT]
   SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_SUCCESS                 99     [SSH-CONNECT]
   SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_FAILURE                100     [SSH-CONNECT]

1.1 Disconnect Codes

   The Disconnect code is an 8-bit value, which describes the disconnect
   reason.  Requests for assignments of new disconnect codes must be
   accompanied by an RFC which describes the new disconnect reason code.

   Disconnect code                                 Value  Reference
   ----------------                                -----  ---------
   SSH_DISCONNECT_HOST_NOT_ALLOWED_TO_CONNECT        1    [SSH-TRANS]
   SSH_DISCONNECT_PROTOCOL_ERROR                     2    [SSH-TRANS]
   SSH_DISCONNECT_KEY_EXCHANGE_FAILED                3    [SSH-TRANS]
   SSH_DISCONNECT_RESERVED                           4    [SSH-TRANS]
   SSH_DISCONNECT_MAC_ERROR                          5    [SSH-TRANS]
   SSH_DISCONNECT_COMPRESSION_ERROR                  6    [SSH-TRANS]
   SSH_DISCONNECT_SERVICE_NOT_AVAILABLE              7    [SSH-TRANS]
   SSH_DISCONNECT_PROTOCOL_VERSION_NOT_SUPPORTED     8    [SSH-TRANS]
   SSH_DISCONNECT_HOST_KEY_NOT_VERIFIABLE            9    [SSH-TRANS]
   SSH_DISCONNECT_CONNECTION_LOST                   10    [SSH-TRANS]
   SSH_DISCONNECT_BY_APPLICATION                    11    [SSH-TRANS]
   SSH_DISCONNECT_TOO_MANY_CONNECTIONS              12    [SSH-TRANS]
   SSH_DISCONNECT_AUTH_CANCELLED_BY_USER            13    [SSH-TRANS]

Lehtinen & Moffat       Expires February 12, 2004               [Page 4]

Internet-Draft        SSH Protocol Assigned Numbers          August 2003

   SSH_DISCONNECT_NO_MORE_AUTH_METHODS_AVAILABLE    14    [SSH-TRANS]
   SSH_DISCONNECT_ILLEGAL_USER_NAME                 15    [SSH-TRANS]

2. Service Names

   The Service Name is used to describe a protocol layer.  These names
   MUST be printable US-ASCII strings, and MUST NOT contain the
   characters at-sign ('@'), comma (','), or whitespace or control
   characters (ASCII codes 32 or less).  Names are case-sensitive, and
   MUST NOT be longer than 64 characters.

   Requests for assignments of new service names must be accompanied by
   an RFC which describes the interpretation for the service name.  If
   the RFC is not on the standards-track (i.e.  it is an informational
   or experimental RFC), it must be explicitly reviewed and approved by
   the IESG before the RFC is published and the service name is
   assigned.

   Service name                  Reference
   -------------                 ---------
   ssh-userauth                  [SSH-USERAUTH]
   ssh-connection                [SSH-CONNECT]

2.1 Authentication Method Names

   The Authentication Method Name is used to describe an authentication
   method for the "ssh-userauth" service [SSH-USERAUTH].  These names
   MUST be printable US-ASCII strings, and MUST NOT contain the
   characters at-sign ('@'), comma (','), or whitespace or control
   characters (ASCII codes 32 or less).  Names are case-sensitive, and
   MUST NOT be longer than 64 characters.

   Requests for assignments of new authentication method names must be
   accompanied by an RFC which describes the interpretation for the
   authentication method.

   Method name                   Reference
   ------------                  ---------
   publickey                     [SSH-USERAUTH, Section 4]
   password                      [SSH-USERAUTH, Section 5]
   hostbased                     [SSH-USERAUTH, Section 6]
   none                          [SSH-USERAUTH, Section 2.3]

Lehtinen & Moffat       Expires February 12, 2004               [Page 5]

Internet-Draft        SSH Protocol Assigned Numbers          August 2003

2.2 Connection Protocol Assigned Names

   The following request and type names MUST be printable US-ASCII
   strings, and MUST NOT contain the characters at-sign ('@'), comma
   (','), or whitespace or control characters (ASCII codes 32 or less).
   Names are case-sensitive, and MUST NOT be longer than 64 characters.

   Requests for assignments of new assigned names must be accompanied by
   an RFC which describes the interpretation for the type or request.

2.2.1 Connection Protocol Channel Types

   Channel type                  Reference
   ------------                  ---------
   session                       [SSH-CONNECT, Section 4.1]
   x11                           [SSH-CONNECT, Section 4.3.2]
   forwarded-tcpip               [SSH-CONNECT, Section 5.2]
   direct-tcpip                  [SSH-CONNECT, Section 5.2]

2.2.2 Connection Protocol Global Request Names

   Request type                  Reference
   ------------                  ---------
   tcpip-forward                 [SSH-CONNECT, Section 5.1]
   cancel-tcpip-forward          [SSH-CONNECT, Section 5.1]

2.2.3 Connection Protocol Channel Request Names

   Request type                  Reference
   ------------                  ---------
   pty-req                       [SSH-CONNECT, Section 4.2]
   x11-req                       [SSH-CONNECT, Section 4.3.1]
   env                           [SSH-CONNECT, Section 4.4]
   shell                         [SSH-CONNECT, Section 4.5]
   exec                          [SSH-CONNECT, Section 4.5]
   subsystem                     [SSH-CONNECT, Section 4.5]
   window-change                 [SSH-CONNECT, Section 4.7]
   xon-xoff                      [SSH-CONNECT, Section 4.8]
   signal                        [SSH-CONNECT, Section 4.9]
   exit-status                   [SSH-CONNECT, Section 4.10]
   exit-signal                   [SSH-CONNECT, Section 4.10]

Lehtinen & Moffat       Expires February 12, 2004               [Page 6]

Internet-Draft        SSH Protocol Assigned Numbers          August 2003

3. Key Exchange Method Names

   The Key Exchange Method Name describes a key-exchange method for the
   protocol [SSH-TRANS].  The names MUST be printable US-ASCII strings,
   and MUST NOT contain the characters at-sign ('@'), comma (','), or
   whitespace or control characters (ASCII codes 32 or less).  Names are
   case-sensitive, and MUST NOT be longer than 64 characters.

   Requests for assignment of new key-exchange method names must be
   accompanied by a reference to a standards-track or Informational RFC
   which describes this method.

   Method name                   Reference
   ------------                  ---------
   diffie-hellman-group1-sha1    [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.5]

4. Assigned Algorithm Names

   The following identifiers (names) MUST be printable US-ASCII strings,
   and MUST NOT contain the characters at-sign ('@'), comma (','), or
   whitespace or control characters (ASCII codes 32 or less).  Names are
   case-sensitive, and MUST NOT be longer than 64 characters.

   Requests for assignment of new algorithm names must be accompanied by
   a reference to a standards-track or Informational RFC or a reference
   to published cryptographic literature which describes the algorithm.

4.1 Encryption Algorithm Names

   Cipher name                   Reference
   ------------                  ---------
   3des-cbc                      [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.3]
   blowfish-cbc                  [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.3]
   twofish256-cbc                [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.3]
   twofish-cbc                   [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.3]
   twofish192-cbc                [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.3]
   twofish128-cbc                [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.3]
   aes256-cbc                    [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.3]
   aes192-cbc                    [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.3]
   aes128-cbc                    [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.3]
   serpent256-cbc                [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.3]
   serpent192-cbc                [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.3]
   serpent128-cbc                [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.3]
   arcfour                       [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.3]
   idea-cbc                      [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.3]
   cast128-cbc                   [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.3]
   none                          [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.3]

Lehtinen & Moffat       Expires February 12, 2004               [Page 7]

Internet-Draft        SSH Protocol Assigned Numbers          August 2003

   des-cbc                       [FIPS-46-3] HISTORIC; See page 4 of [FIPS 46-3]

4.2 MAC Algorithm Names

   MAC name                      Reference
   ---------                     ---------
   hmac-sha1                     [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.4]
   hmac-sha1-96                  [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.4]
   hmac-md5                      [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.4]
   hmac-md5-96                   [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.4]
   none                          [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.4]

4.3 Public Key Algorithm Names

   Algorithm name                Reference
   ---------------               ---------
   ssh-dss                       [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.6]
   ssh-rsa                       [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.6]
   x509v3-sign-rsa               [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.6]
   x509v3-sign-dss               [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.6]
   spki-sign-rsa                 [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.6]
   spki-sign-dss                 [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.6]
   pgp-sign-rsa                  [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.6]
   pgp-sign-dss                  [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.6]

References

   [SSH-ARCH]      Ylonen, T., "SSH Protocol Architecture", I-D draft-
                   ietf-architecture-14.txt, July 2003.

   [SSH-TRANS]     Ylonen, T., "SSH Transport Layer Protocol", I-D
                   draft-ietf-transport-16.txt, July 2003.

   [SSH-USERAUTH]  Ylonen, T., "SSH Authentication Protocol", I-D draft-
                   ietf-userauth-17.txt, July 2003.

   [SSH-CONNECT]   Ylonen, T., "SSH Connection Protocol", I-D draft-
                   ietf-connect-17.txt, July 2003.

   [SSH-NUMBERS]   Lehtinen, S. and D. Moffat, "SSH Protocol Assigned
                   Numbers", I-D draft-ietf-secsh-assignednumbers-
                   03.txt, July 2003.

   [FIPS-46-3]     U.S. Dept. of Commerce, ., "FIPS PUB 46-3, Data

Lehtinen & Moffat       Expires February 12, 2004               [Page 8]

Internet-Draft        SSH Protocol Assigned Numbers          August 2003

                   Encryption Standard (DES)", October 1999.

Authors' Addresses

   Sami Lehtinen
   SSH Communications Security Corp
   Fredrikinkatu 42
   HELSINKI  FIN-00100
   Finland

   EMail: [email-masked]

   Darren J Moffat
   Sun Microsystems
   901 San Antonio Road
   Palo Alto  94303
   USA

   EMail: [email-masked]

Lehtinen & Moffat       Expires February 12, 2004               [Page 9]

Internet-Draft        SSH Protocol Assigned Numbers          August 2003

Full Copyright Statement

   Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2003).  All Rights Reserved.

   This document and translations of it may be copied and furnished to
   others, and derivative works that comment on or otherwise explain it
   or assist in its implementation may be prepared, copied, published
   and distributed, in whole or in part, without restriction of any
   kind, provided that the above copyright notice and this paragraph are
   included on all such copies and derivative works.  However, this
   document itself may not be modified in any way, such as by removing
   the copyright notice or references to the Internet Society or other
   Internet organizations, except as needed for the purpose of
   developing Internet standards in which case the procedures for
   copyrights defined in the Internet Standards process must be
   followed, or as required to translate it into languages other than
   English.

   The limited permissions granted above are perpetual and will not be
   revoked by the Internet Society or its successors or assigns.

   This document and the information contained herein is provided on an
   "AS IS" basis and THE INTERNET SOCIETY AND THE INTERNET ENGINEERING
   TASK FORCE DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING
   BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY WARRANTY THAT THE USE OF THE INFORMATION
   HEREIN WILL NOT INFRINGE ANY RIGHTS OR ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
   MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Acknowledgement

   Funding for the RFC Editor function is currently provided by the
   Internet Society.

Lehtinen & Moffat       Expires February 12, 2004              [Page 10]

-- 
Darren J Moffat

---

From: "Joseph Salowey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 10:03:20 -0700

I didn't see compression methods listed in this document.  Should they
be?

Joe

---

From: Bill Sommerfeld <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 15:29:48 -0400

> From: "Joseph Salowey" <[email-masked]>
> To: "'Darren J Moffat'" <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
> Cc: <[email-masked]>
> Subject: RE: draft-ietf-secsh-assignednumbers-03.txt
> Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 10:03:20 -0700
> 

Argh.  Yes.

Darren:

Please add a new section 4.4:

4.4  Compression algorithm names

     Algorithm name                Reference
     ---------------               ---------
     none			   [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.2]
     zlib		           [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.2]

and respin.

						- Bill