Subject: draft-ietf-secsh-assignednumbers-05.txt

From: Darren J Moffat <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 18:50:01 -0800 (PST)

Network Working Group                                        S. Lehtinen
Internet-Draft                          SSH Communications Security Corp
Expires: March 31, 2004                                   D. Moffat, Ed.
                                                        Sun Microsystems
                                                                Oct 2003

                     SSH Protocol Assigned Numbers
                draft-ietf-secsh-assignednumbers-05.txt

Status of this Memo

   This document is an Internet-Draft and is in full conformance with
   all provisions of Section 10 of RFC2026.

   Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
   Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups. Note that other
   groups may also distribute working documents as Internet-Drafts.

   Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
   and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
   time. It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
   material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

   The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at http://
   www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt.

   The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
   http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.

   This Internet-Draft will expire on March 31, 2004.

Copyright Notice

   Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2003). All Rights Reserved.

Abstract

   This document defines the initial state of the IANA assigned numbers
   for the SSH protocol.  It is intended only for initalization of the
   IANA databases referenced in those documents.

Lehtinen & Moffat        Expires March 31, 2004                 [Page 1]

Internet-Draft       SSH Protocol Assigned Numbers              Oct 2003

Table of Contents

   1.    Introduction . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  3
   2.    Conventions Used in This Document  . . . . . . . . . . . . .  3
   3.    IANA Considerations  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  3
   3.1   Message Numbers  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  3
   3.1.1 Disconnect Codes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  5
   3.2   Service Names  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  5
   3.2.1 Authentication Method Names  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  6
   3.2.2 Connection Protocol Assigned Names . . . . . . . . . . . . .  6
   3.3   Key Exchange Method Names  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  7
   3.4   Assigned Algorithm Names . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  7
   3.4.1 Encryption Algorithm Names . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  7
   3.4.2 MAC Algorithm Names  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  8
   3.4.3 Public Key Algorithm Names . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  8
   3.4.4 Compression Algorithm Names  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  9
   4.    Intellectual Property  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  9
         Normative References . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  9
         Informative References . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10
         Authors' Addresses . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10
         Intellectual Property and Copyright Statements . . . . . . . 11

Lehtinen & Moffat        Expires March 31, 2004                 [Page 2]

Internet-Draft       SSH Protocol Assigned Numbers              Oct 2003

1. Introduction

   This document does not define any new protocols.  It is intended only
   to create the initial state of the IANA databases for the SSH
   protocol. Except for one HISTORIC algorithm generally regarded as
   obsolete, this document does not define any new protocols or any
   number ranges not already defined in: [SSH-ARCH], [SSH-TRANS],
   [SSH-USERAUTH], [SSH-CONNECT]

2. Conventions Used in This Document

   The keywords "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT",
   and "MAY" that appear in this document are to be interpreted as
   described in [RFC2119]

   The used data types and terminology are specified in the architecture
   document [SSH-ARCH]

   The architecture document also discusses the algorithm naming
   conventions that MUST be used with the SSH protocols.

3. IANA Considerations

3.1 Message Numbers

   The Message Number is an 8-bit value, which describes the payload of
   a packet.

   Protocol packets have message numbers in the range 1 to 255.  These
   numbers have been allocated as follows in [SSH-ARCH]:

     Transport layer protocol:

       1 to 19    Transport layer generic (e.g. disconnect, ignore, debug, etc.)
       20 to 29   Algorithm negotiation
       30 to 49   Key exchange method specific (numbers can be reused for
                  different authentication methods)

     User authentication protocol:

       50 to 59   User authentication generic
       60 to 79   User authentication method specific (numbers can be
                  reused for different authentication methods)

     Connection protocol:

       80 to 89   Connection protocol generic
       90 to 127  Channel related messages

Lehtinen & Moffat        Expires March 31, 2004                 [Page 3]

Internet-Draft       SSH Protocol Assigned Numbers              Oct 2003

     Reserved for client protocols:

       128 to 191 Reserved

     Local extensions:

       192 to 255 Local extensions

   Requests for assignments of new message numbers must be accompanied
   by an RFC which describes the new packet type.  If the RFC is not on
   the standards-track (i.e. it is an informational or experimental
   RFC), it must be explicitly reviewed and approved by the IESG before
   the RFC is published and the message number is assigned.

   Message ID                            Value    Reference
   -----------                           -----    ---------
   SSH_MSG_DISCONNECT                       1     [SSH-TRANS]
   SSH_MSG_IGNORE                           2     [SSH-TRANS]
   SSH_MSG_UNIMPLEMENTED                    3     [SSH-TRANS]
   SSH_MSG_DEBUG                            4     [SSH-TRANS]
   SSH_MSG_SERVICE_REQUEST                  5     [SSH-TRANS]
   SSH_MSG_SERVICE_ACCEPT                   6     [SSH-TRANS]
   SSH_MSG_KEXINIT                         20     [SSH-TRANS]
   SSH_MSG_NEWKEYS                         21     [SSH-TRANS]
   SSH_MSG_KEXDH_INIT                      30     [SSH-TRANS]
   SSH_MSG_KEXDH_REPLY                     31     [SSH-TRANS]
   SSH_MSG_USERAUTH_REQUEST                50     [SSH-USERAUTH]
   SSH_MSG_USERAUTH_FAILURE                51     [SSH-USERAUTH]
   SSH_MSG_USERAUTH_SUCCESS                52     [SSH-USERAUTH]
   SSH_MSG_USERAUTH_BANNER                 53     [SSH-USERAUTH]
   SSH_MSG_USERAUTH_PK_OK                  60     [SSH-USERAUTH]
   SSH_MSG_GLOBAL_REQUEST                  80     [SSH-CONNECT]
   SSH_MSG_REQUEST_SUCCESS                 81     [SSH-CONNECT]
   SSH_MSG_REQUEST_FAILURE                 82     [SSH-CONNECT]
   SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_OPEN                    90     [SSH-CONNECT]
   SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_OPEN_CONFIRMATION       91     [SSH-CONNECT]
   SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_OPEN_FAILURE            92     [SSH-CONNECT]
   SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_WINDOW_ADJUST           93     [SSH-CONNECT]
   SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_DATA                    94     [SSH-CONNECT]
   SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_EXTENDED_DATA           95     [SSH-CONNECT]
   SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_EOF                     96     [SSH-CONNECT]
   SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_CLOSE                   97     [SSH-CONNECT]
   SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_REQUEST                 98     [SSH-CONNECT]
   SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_SUCCESS                 99     [SSH-CONNECT]
   SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_FAILURE                100     [SSH-CONNECT]

Lehtinen & Moffat        Expires March 31, 2004                 [Page 4]

Internet-Draft       SSH Protocol Assigned Numbers              Oct 2003

3.1.1 Disconnect Codes

   The Disconnect code is an 8-bit value, which describes the disconnect
   reason. Requests for assignments of new disconnect codes must be
   accompanied by an RFC which describes the new disconnect reason code.

   Disconnect code                                 Value  Reference
   ----------------                                -----  ---------
   SSH_DISCONNECT_HOST_NOT_ALLOWED_TO_CONNECT        1    [SSH-TRANS]
   SSH_DISCONNECT_PROTOCOL_ERROR                     2    [SSH-TRANS]
   SSH_DISCONNECT_KEY_EXCHANGE_FAILED                3    [SSH-TRANS]
   SSH_DISCONNECT_RESERVED                           4    [SSH-TRANS]
   SSH_DISCONNECT_MAC_ERROR                          5    [SSH-TRANS]
   SSH_DISCONNECT_COMPRESSION_ERROR                  6    [SSH-TRANS]
   SSH_DISCONNECT_SERVICE_NOT_AVAILABLE              7    [SSH-TRANS]
   SSH_DISCONNECT_PROTOCOL_VERSION_NOT_SUPPORTED     8    [SSH-TRANS]
   SSH_DISCONNECT_HOST_KEY_NOT_VERIFIABLE            9    [SSH-TRANS]
   SSH_DISCONNECT_CONNECTION_LOST                   10    [SSH-TRANS]
   SSH_DISCONNECT_BY_APPLICATION                    11    [SSH-TRANS]
   SSH_DISCONNECT_TOO_MANY_CONNECTIONS              12    [SSH-TRANS]
   SSH_DISCONNECT_AUTH_CANCELLED_BY_USER            13    [SSH-TRANS]
   SSH_DISCONNECT_NO_MORE_AUTH_METHODS_AVAILABLE    14    [SSH-TRANS]
   SSH_DISCONNECT_ILLEGAL_USER_NAME                 15    [SSH-TRANS]

3.2 Service Names

   The Service Name is used to describe a protocol layer.  These names
   MUST be printable US-ASCII strings, and MUST NOT contain the
   characters at-sign ('@'), comma (','), or whitespace or control
   characters (ASCII codes 32 or less).  Names are case-sensitive, and
   MUST NOT be longer than 64 characters.

   Requests for assignments of new service names must be accompanied by
   an RFC which describes the interpretation for the service name. If
   the RFC is not on the standards-track (i.e. it is an informational or
   experimental RFC), it must be explicitly reviewed and approved by the
   IESG before the RFC is published and the service name is assigned.

   Service name                  Reference
   -------------                 ---------
   ssh-userauth                  [SSH-USERAUTH]
   ssh-connection                [SSH-CONNECT]

Lehtinen & Moffat        Expires March 31, 2004                 [Page 5]

Internet-Draft       SSH Protocol Assigned Numbers              Oct 2003

3.2.1 Authentication Method Names

   The Authentication Method Name is used to describe an authentication
   method for the "ssh-userauth" service [SSH-USERAUTH]. These names
   MUST be printable US-ASCII strings, and MUST NOT contain the
   characters at-sign ('@'), comma (','), or whitespace or control
   characters (ASCII codes 32 or less).  Names are case-sensitive, and
   MUST NOT be longer than 64 characters.

   Requests for assignments of new authentication method names must be
   accompanied by an RFC which describes the interpretation for the
   authentication method.

   Method name                   Reference
   ------------                  ---------
   publickey                     [SSH-USERAUTH, Section 4]
   password                      [SSH-USERAUTH, Section 5]
   hostbased                     [SSH-USERAUTH, Section 6]
   none                          [SSH-USERAUTH, Section 2.3]

3.2.2 Connection Protocol Assigned Names

   The following request and type names MUST be printable US-ASCII
   strings, and MUST NOT contain the characters at-sign ('@'), comma
   (','), or whitespace or control characters (ASCII codes 32 or less).
   Names are case-sensitive, and MUST NOT be longer than 64 characters.

   Requests for assignments of new assigned names must be accompanied by
   an RFC which describes the interpretation for the type or request.

3.2.2.1 Connection Protocol Channel Types

   Channel type                  Reference
   ------------                  ---------
   session                       [SSH-CONNECT, Section 4.1]
   x11                           [SSH-CONNECT, Section 4.3.2]
   forwarded-tcpip               [SSH-CONNECT, Section 5.2]
   direct-tcpip                  [SSH-CONNECT, Section 5.2]

3.2.2.2 Connection Protocol Global Request Names

   Request type                  Reference
   ------------                  ---------
   tcpip-forward                 [SSH-CONNECT, Section 5.1]
   cancel-tcpip-forward          [SSH-CONNECT, Section 5.1]

Lehtinen & Moffat        Expires March 31, 2004                 [Page 6]

Internet-Draft       SSH Protocol Assigned Numbers              Oct 2003

3.2.2.3 Connection Protocol Channel Request Names

   Request type                  Reference
   ------------                  ---------
   pty-req                       [SSH-CONNECT, Section 4.2]
   x11-req                       [SSH-CONNECT, Section 4.3.1]
   env                           [SSH-CONNECT, Section 4.4]
   shell                         [SSH-CONNECT, Section 4.5]
   exec                          [SSH-CONNECT, Section 4.5]
   subsystem                     [SSH-CONNECT, Section 4.5]
   window-change                 [SSH-CONNECT, Section 4.7]
   xon-xoff                      [SSH-CONNECT, Section 4.8]
   signal                        [SSH-CONNECT, Section 4.9]
   exit-status                   [SSH-CONNECT, Section 4.10]
   exit-signal                   [SSH-CONNECT, Section 4.10]

3.3 Key Exchange Method Names

   The Key Exchange Method Name describes a key-exchange method for the
   protocol [SSH-TRANS].  The names MUST be printable US-ASCII strings,
   and MUST NOT contain the characters at-sign ('@'), comma (','), or
   whitespace or control characters (ASCII codes 32 or less).  Names are
   case-sensitive, and MUST NOT be longer than 64 characters.

   Requests for assignment of new key-exchange method names must be
   accompanied by a reference to a standards-track or Informational RFC
   which describes this method.

   Method name                   Reference
   ------------                  ---------
   diffie-hellman-group1-sha1    [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.5]

3.4 Assigned Algorithm Names

   The following identifiers (names) MUST be printable US-ASCII strings,
   and MUST NOT contain the characters at-sign ('@'), comma (','), or
   whitespace or control characters (ASCII codes 32 or less).  Names are
   case-sensitive, and MUST NOT be longer than 64 characters.

   Requests for assignment of new algorithm names must be accompanied by
   a reference to a standards-track or Informational RFC or a reference
   to published cryptographic literature which describes the algorithm.

3.4.1 Encryption Algorithm Names

   Cipher name                   Reference

Lehtinen & Moffat        Expires March 31, 2004                 [Page 7]

Internet-Draft       SSH Protocol Assigned Numbers              Oct 2003

   ------------                  ---------
   3des-cbc                      [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.3]
   blowfish-cbc                  [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.3]
   twofish256-cbc                [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.3]
   twofish-cbc                   [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.3]
   twofish192-cbc                [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.3]
   twofish128-cbc                [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.3]
   aes256-cbc                    [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.3]
   aes192-cbc                    [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.3]
   aes128-cbc                    [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.3]
   serpent256-cbc                [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.3]
   serpent192-cbc                [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.3]
   serpent128-cbc                [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.3]
   arcfour                       [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.3]
   idea-cbc                      [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.3]
   cast128-cbc                   [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.3]
   none                          [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.3]
   des-cbc                       [FIPS-46-3] HISTORIC; See page 4 of [FIPS 46-3]

3.4.2 MAC Algorithm Names

   MAC name                      Reference
   ---------                     ---------
   hmac-sha1                     [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.4]
   hmac-sha1-96                  [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.4]
   hmac-md5                      [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.4]
   hmac-md5-96                   [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.4]
   none                          [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.4]

3.4.3 Public Key Algorithm Names

   Algorithm name                Reference
   ---------------               ---------
   ssh-dss                       [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.6]
   ssh-rsa                       [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.6]
   x509v3-sign-rsa               [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.6]
   x509v3-sign-dss               [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.6]
   spki-sign-rsa                 [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.6]
   spki-sign-dss                 [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.6]
   pgp-sign-rsa                  [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.6]
   pgp-sign-dss                  [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.6]

Lehtinen & Moffat        Expires March 31, 2004                 [Page 8]

Internet-Draft       SSH Protocol Assigned Numbers              Oct 2003

3.4.4 Compression Algorithm Names

   Algorithm name                Reference
   ---------------               ---------
   none                          [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.2]
   zlib                          [SSH-TRANS, Section 4.2]

4. Intellectual Property

   The IETF takes no position regarding the validity or scope of any
   intellectual property or other rights that might be claimed to
   pertain to the implementation or use of the technology described in
   this document or the extent to which any license under such rights
   might or might not be available; neither does it represent that it
   has made any effort to identify any such rights. Information on the
   IETF's procedures with respect to rights in standards-track and
   standards-related documentation can be found in BCP-11. Copies of
   claims of rights made available for publication and any assurances of
   licenses to be made available, or the result of an attempt made to
   obtain a general license or permission for the use of such
   proprietary rights by implementers or users of this specification can
   be obtained from the IETF Secretariat.

   The IETF has been notified of intellectual property rights claimed in
   regard to some or all of the specification contained in this
   document. For more information consult the online list of claimed
   rights.

Normative References

   [SSH-ARCH]
              Ylonen, T., "SSH Protocol Architecture", I-D
              draft-ietf-architecture-15.txt, Oct 2003.

   [SSH-TRANS]
              Ylonen, T., "SSH Transport Layer Protocol", I-D
              draft-ietf-transport-17.txt, Oct 2003.

   [SSH-USERAUTH]
              Ylonen, T., "SSH Authentication Protocol", I-D
              draft-ietf-userauth-18.txt, Oct 2003.

   [SSH-CONNECT]
              Ylonen, T., "SSH Connection Protocol", I-D
              draft-ietf-connect-18.txt, Oct 2003.

   [SSH-NUMBERS]

Lehtinen & Moffat        Expires March 31, 2004                 [Page 9]

Internet-Draft       SSH Protocol Assigned Numbers              Oct 2003

              Lehtinen, S. and D. Moffat, "SSH Protocol Assigned
              Numbers", I-D draft-ietf-secsh-assignednumbers-05.txt, Oct
              2003.

   [RFC2119]  Bradner, S., "Key words for use in RFCs to Indicate
              Requirement Levels", BCP 14, RFC 2119, March 1997.

Informative References

   [FIPS-46-3]
              U.S. Dept. of Commerce, "FIPS PUB 46-3, Data Encryption
              Standard (DES)", October 1999.

Authors' Addresses

   Sami Lehtinen
   SSH Communications Security Corp
   Fredrikinkatu 42
   HELSINKI  FIN-00100
   Finland

   EMail: [email-masked]

   Darren J Moffat (editor)
   Sun Microsystems
   901 San Antonio Road
   Palo Alto  94303
   USA

   EMail: [email-masked]

Lehtinen & Moffat        Expires March 31, 2004                [Page 10]

Internet-Draft       SSH Protocol Assigned Numbers              Oct 2003

Intellectual Property Statement

   The IETF takes no position regarding the validity or scope of any
   intellectual property or other rights that might be claimed to
   pertain to the implementation or use of the technology described in
   this document or the extent to which any license under such rights
   might or might not be available; neither does it represent that it
   has made any effort to identify any such rights. Information on the
   IETF's procedures with respect to rights in standards-track and
   standards-related documentation can be found in BCP-11. Copies of
   claims of rights made available for publication and any assurances of
   licenses to be made available, or the result of an attempt made to
   obtain a general license or permission for the use of such
   proprietary rights by implementors or users of this specification can
   be obtained from the IETF Secretariat.

   The IETF invites any interested party to bring to its attention any
   copyrights, patents or patent applications, or other proprietary
   rights which may cover technology that may be required to practice
   this standard. Please address the information to the IETF Executive
   Director.

   The IETF has been notified of intellectual property rights claimed in
   regard to some or all of the specification contained in this
   document. For more information consult the online list of claimed
   rights.

Full Copyright Statement

   Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2003). All Rights Reserved.

   This document and translations of it may be copied and furnished to
   others, and derivative works that comment on or otherwise explain it
   or assist in its implementation may be prepared, copied, published
   and distributed, in whole or in part, without restriction of any
   kind, provided that the above copyright notice and this paragraph are
   included on all such copies and derivative works. However, this
   document itself may not be modified in any way, such as by removing
   the copyright notice or references to the Internet Society or other
   Internet organizations, except as needed for the purpose of
   developing Internet standards in which case the procedures for
   copyrights defined in the Internet Standards process must be
   followed, or as required to translate it into languages other than
   English.

   The limited permissions granted above are perpetual and will not be
   revoked by the Internet Society or its successors or assignees.

Lehtinen & Moffat        Expires March 31, 2004                [Page 11]

Internet-Draft       SSH Protocol Assigned Numbers              Oct 2003

   This document and the information contained herein is provided on an
   "AS IS" basis and THE INTERNET SOCIETY AND THE INTERNET ENGINEERING
   TASK FORCE DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING
   BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY WARRANTY THAT THE USE OF THE INFORMATION
   HEREIN WILL NOT INFRINGE ANY RIGHTS OR ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
   MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Acknowledgment

   Funding for the RFC Editor function is currently provided by the
   Internet Society.

Lehtinen & Moffat        Expires March 31, 2004                [Page 12]

--
Darren J Moffat