Subject: [I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-nfsv4-channel-bindings-00.txt]

From: Nicolas Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 12:03:50 -0800

[Apologies for the cross-post; followups should NOT be cross-posted this
 widely.

 Please Cc ONLY the appropriate WG mailing list(s) on any replies.

 Since I am not subscribed to all of the relevant WGs' mailing lists,
 please Cc me in all replies.]

The NFSv4 WG I-D on channel bindings needs review from several IETF WGs.

This I-D, draft-ietf-nfsv4-channel-bindings-00.txt, goes along with the
soon to be published draft-ietf-nfsv4-ccm-03.txt (currently: -02).

We would appreciate feedback from the Cc'ed WGs on several areas as
requested below.  Please cc the appropriate WG lists only in your
replies.

The I-D announcement is included below, including the I-D Abstract.

Thanks,

Nico

Review requests:

 - From all the cc'ed WGs, the security community in general and the
   [concluded] CAT WG mailing list:

    o Please review the generic definition of "channel bindings" in this
      I-D and the concept of "channel bindings" in general.

   (Use the CAT WG list and/or the NFSv4 WG list.)

 - From the IPSEC WG:

    o Please review the IPsec channel construction in this I-D and the
      relevant interface requirements.

    o Please review the IPsec channel bindings construction.

    (Use the IPSEC WG and/or the IPSP WG lists.)

 - From the IPSP WG:

    o Please review the IPsec channel construction in this I-D and the
      relevant interface requirements.

    (Use the IPSEC WG and/or the IPSP WG lists.)

 - From the IPS WG:

    o Please consider the channel bindings concept as a general solution
      to the problems with the iSCSI approach to security ("authenticate
      at iSCSI layer with x, y or z authentication technology, but
      delegate session integrity/confidentiality protection to IPsec").

      See the introduction (section 1) of this I-D for a description of
      the problem with the iSCSI approach to security.

      (I realize that I'm late to the iSCSI party - my goal is not to
       affect the progression of the iSCSI I-Ds to Proposed Standard and
       publication as RFCs, far from it.)

   (Use the IPS WG list.)

 - From the TLS WG:

    o Please review the construction of channel bindings to TLS channels
      given in this I-D.

   (Use the TLS WG list.)

 - From the SECSH WG:

    o Please review the construction of channel bindings to SSHv2
      channels given in this I-D.

   (Use the SECSH WG list.)

 - From the KRB WG:

    o Please review sections 3.3 and 4.5 of this I-D.

   (Use the KRB WG list.)

 - From the SASL WG:

    o Please review section 3.2 of this I-D.

   (Use the SASL WG list.)

----- Forwarded message from [email-masked] -----

Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 10:50:50 -0400
From: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-nfsv4-channel-bindings-00.txt
To: IETF-Announce: ;
Cc: [email-masked]

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Network File System Version 4 Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: On the Use of Channel Bindings to Secure Channels
	Author(s)	: N. Williams
	Filename	: draft-ietf-nfsv4-channel-bindings-00.txt
	Pages		: 14
	Date		: 2003-10-23
	
This document defines and formalizes the concept of channel bindings
   to secure layers and defines the actual contents of channel bindings
   for several secure channels.

   The concept of channel bindings allows applications to prove that the
   end-points of two secure channels are the same by binding
   authentication at one network layer to the session protection
   negotiation at a lower network layer.  The use of channel bindings
   allows applications to delegate session protection to lower layers.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nfsv4-channel-bindings-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-nfsv4-channel-bindings-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nfsv4-channel-bindings-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

----- End forwarded message -----