Subject: draft-ietf-secsh-connect-18.txt

From: Darren J Moffat <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 18:50:28 -0800 (PST)

Network Working Group                                          T. Ylonen
Internet-Draft                          SSH Communications Security Corp
Expires: March 31, 2004                           D. Moffat, Editor, Ed.
                                                   Sun Microsystems, Inc
                                                                Oct 2003

                        SSH Connection Protocol
                    draft-ietf-secsh-connect-18.txt

Status of this Memo

   This document is an Internet-Draft and is in full conformance with
   all provisions of Section 10 of RFC2026.

   Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
   Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups. Note that other
   groups may also distribute working documents as Internet-Drafts.

   Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
   and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
   time. It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
   material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

   The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at http://
   www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt.

   The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
   http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.

   This Internet-Draft will expire on March 31, 2004.

Copyright Notice

   Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2003). All Rights Reserved.

Abstract

   SSH is a protocol for secure remote login and other secure network
   services over an insecure network.

   This document describes the SSH Connection Protocol. It provides
   interactive login sessions, remote execution of commands, forwarded
   TCP/IP connections, and forwarded X11 connections. All of these
   channels are multiplexed into a single encrypted tunnel.

   The SSH Connection Protocol has been designed to run on top of the
   SSH transport layer and user authentication protocols.

Ylonen & Moffat, Editor    Expires March 31, 2004               [Page 1]

Internet-Draft          SSH Connection Protocol                 Oct 2003

Table of Contents

   1.    Contributors . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  3
   2.    Introduction . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  3
   3.    Conventions Used in This Document  . . . . . . . . . . . . .  3
   4.    Global Requests  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  3
   5.    Channel Mechanism  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  4
   5.1   Opening a Channel  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  4
   5.2   Data Transfer  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  5
   5.3   Closing a Channel  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  6
   5.4   Channel-Specific Requests  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  7
   6.    Interactive Sessions . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  8
   6.1   Opening a Session  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  8
   6.2   Requesting a Pseudo-Terminal . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  8
   6.3   X11 Forwarding . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  9
   6.3.1 Requesting X11 Forwarding  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  9
   6.3.2 X11 Channels . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10
   6.4   Environment Variable Passing . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10
   6.5   Starting a Shell or a Command  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10
   6.6   Session Data Transfer  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 11
   6.7   Window Dimension Change Message  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 12
   6.8   Local Flow Control . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 12
   6.9   Signals  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 12
   6.10  Returning Exit Status  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 13
   7.    TCP/IP Port Forwarding . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 14
   7.1   Requesting Port Forwarding . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 14
   7.2   TCP/IP Forwarding Channels . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 15
   8.    Encoding of Terminal Modes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 16
   9.    Summary of Message Numbers . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 18
   10.   Security Considerations  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 18
   11.   iana cONSiderations  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 19
   12.   Intellectual Property  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 19
         Normative References . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 19
         Informative References . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 20
         Authors' Addresses . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 20
         Intellectual Property and Copyright Statements . . . . . . . 21

Ylonen & Moffat, Editor    Expires March 31, 2004               [Page 2]

Internet-Draft          SSH Connection Protocol                 Oct 2003

1. Contributors

   The major original contributors of this document were: Tatu Ylonen,
   Tero Kivinen, Timo J. Rinne, Sami Lehtinen (all of SSH Communications
   Security Corp), and Markku-Juhani O. Saarinen (University of
   Jyvaskyla)

   The document editor is: [email-masked].  Comments on this
   internet draft should be sent to the IETF SECSH working group,
   details at: http://ietf.org/html.charters/secsh-charter.html

2. Introduction

   The SSH Connection Protocol has been designed to run on top of the
   SSH transport layer and user authentication protocols. It provides
   interactive login sessions, remote execution of commands, forwarded
   TCP/IP connections, and forwarded X11 connections. The service name
   for this protocol is "ssh-connection".

   This document should be read only after reading the SSH architecture
   document [SSH-ARCH]. This document freely uses terminology and
   notation from the architecture document without reference or further
   explanation.

3. Conventions Used in This Document

   The keywords "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT",
   and "MAY" that appear in this document are to be interpreted as
   described in [RFC2119].

   The used data types and terminology are specified in the architecture
   document [SSH-ARCH].

   The architecture document also discusses the algorithm naming
   conventions that MUST be used with the SSH protocols.

4. Global Requests

   There are several kinds of requests that affect the state of the
   remote end "globally", independent of any channels.  An example is a
   request to start TCP/IP forwarding for a specific port.  All such
   requests use the following format.

     byte      SSH_MSG_GLOBAL_REQUEST
     string    request name (restricted to US-ASCII)
     boolean   want reply
     ... request-specific data follows

Ylonen & Moffat, Editor    Expires March 31, 2004               [Page 3]

Internet-Draft          SSH Connection Protocol                 Oct 2003

   Request names follow the DNS extensibility naming convention outlined
   in [SSH-ARCH].

   The recipient will respond to this message with
   SSH_MSG_REQUEST_SUCCESS or SSH_MSG_REQUEST_FAILURE if `want reply' is
   TRUE.

     byte      SSH_MSG_REQUEST_SUCCESS
     .....     response specific data

   Usually the response specific data is non-existent.

   If the recipient does not recognize or support the request, it simply
   responds with SSH_MSG_REQUEST_FAILURE.

     byte      SSH_MSG_REQUEST_FAILURE

5. Channel Mechanism

   All terminal sessions, forwarded connections, etc. are channels.
   Either side may open a channel.  Multiple channels are multiplexed
   into a single connection.

   Channels are identified by numbers at each end.  The number referring
   to a channel may be different on each side.  Requests to open a
   channel contain the sender's channel number.  Any other
   channel-related messages contain the recipient's channel number for
   the channel.

   Channels are flow-controlled.  No data may be sent to a channel until
   a message is received to indicate that window space is available.

5.1 Opening a Channel

   When either side wishes to open a new channel, it allocates a local
   number for the channel.  It then sends the following message to the
   other side, and includes the local channel number and initial window
   size in the message.

     byte      SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_OPEN
     string    channel type (restricted to US-ASCII)
     uint32    sender channel
     uint32    initial window size
     uint32    maximum packet size
     ... channel type specific data follows

   The channel type is a name as described in the SSH architecture

Ylonen & Moffat, Editor    Expires March 31, 2004               [Page 4]

Internet-Draft          SSH Connection Protocol                 Oct 2003

   document, with similar extension mechanisms. `sender channel' is a
   local identifier for the channel used by the sender of this message.
   `initial window size' specifies how many bytes of channel data can be
   sent to the sender of this message without adjusting the window.
   `Maximum packet size' specifies the maximum size of an individual
   data packet that can be sent to the sender (for example, one might
   want to use smaller packets for interactive connections to get better
   interactive response on slow links).

   The remote side then decides whether it can open the channel, and
   responds with either

     byte      SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_OPEN_CONFIRMATION
     uint32    recipient channel
     uint32    sender channel
     uint32    initial window size
     uint32    maximum packet size
     ... channel type specific data follows

   where `recipient channel' is the channel number given in the original
   open request, and `sender channel' is the channel number allocated by
   the other side, or

     byte      SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_OPEN_FAILURE
     uint32    recipient channel
     uint32    reason code
     string    additional textual information (ISO-10646 UTF-8 [RFC2279])
     string    language tag (as defined in [RFC3066])

   If the recipient of the SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_OPEN message does not support
   the specified channel type, it simply responds with
   SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_OPEN_FAILURE. The client MAY show the additional
   information to the user. If this is done, the client software should
   take the precautions discussed in [SSH-ARCH].

   The following reason codes are defined:

     #define SSH_OPEN_ADMINISTRATIVELY_PROHIBITED    1
     #define SSH_OPEN_CONNECT_FAILED                 2
     #define SSH_OPEN_UNKNOWN_CHANNEL_TYPE           3
     #define SSH_OPEN_RESOURCE_SHORTAGE              4

5.2 Data Transfer

   The window size specifies how many bytes the other party can send
   before it must wait for the window to be adjusted.  Both parties use
   the following message to adjust the window.

Ylonen & Moffat, Editor    Expires March 31, 2004               [Page 5]

Internet-Draft          SSH Connection Protocol                 Oct 2003

     byte      SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_WINDOW_ADJUST
     uint32    recipient channel
     uint32    bytes to add

   After receiving this message, the recipient MAY send the given number
   of bytes more than it was previously allowed to send; the window size
   is incremented.

   Data transfer is done with messages of the following type.

     byte      SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_DATA
     uint32    recipient channel
     string    data

   The maximum amount of data allowed is the current window size.  The
   window size is decremented by the amount of data sent. Both parties
   MAY ignore all extra data sent after the allowed window is empty.

   Additionally, some channels can transfer several types of data.  An
   example of this is stderr data from interactive sessions. Such data
   can be passed with SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_EXTENDED_DATA messages, where a
   separate integer specifies the type of the data.  The available types
   and their interpretation depend on the type of the channel.

     byte      SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_EXTENDED_DATA
     uint32    recipient_channel
     uint32    data_type_code
     string    data

   Data sent with these messages consumes the same window as ordinary
   data.

   Currently, only the following type is defined.

   #define SSH_EXTENDED_DATA_STDERR                1

5.3 Closing a Channel

   When a party will no longer send more data to a channel, it SHOULD
   send SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_EOF.

     byte      SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_EOF
     uint32    recipient_channel

   No explicit response is sent to this message; however, the
   application may send EOF to whatever is at the other end of the
   channel.  Note that the channel remains open after this message, and

Ylonen & Moffat, Editor    Expires March 31, 2004               [Page 6]

Internet-Draft          SSH Connection Protocol                 Oct 2003

   more data may still be sent in the other direction.  This message
   does not consume window space and can be sent even if no window space
   is available.

   When either party wishes to terminate the channel, it sends
   SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_CLOSE.  Upon receiving this message, a party MUST
   send back a SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_CLOSE unless it has already sent this
   message for the channel.  The channel is considered closed for a
   party when it has both sent and received SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_CLOSE, and
   the party may then reuse the channel number.  A party MAY send
   SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_CLOSE without having sent or received
   SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_EOF.

     byte      SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_CLOSE
     uint32    recipient_channel

   This message does not consume window space and can be sent even if no
   window space is available.

   It is recommended that any data sent before this message is delivered
   to the actual destination, if possible.

5.4 Channel-Specific Requests

   Many channel types have extensions that are specific to that
   particular channel type.  An example is requesting a pty (pseudo
   terminal) for an interactive session.

   All channel-specific requests use the following format.

     byte      SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_REQUEST
     uint32    recipient channel
     string    request type (restricted to US-ASCII)
     boolean   want reply
     ... type-specific data

   If want reply is FALSE, no response will be sent to the request.
   Otherwise, the recipient responds with either SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_SUCCESS
   or SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_FAILURE, or request-specific continuation
   messages. If the request is not recognized or is not supported for
   the channel, SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_FAILURE is returned.

   This message does not consume window space and can be sent even if no
   window space is available. Request types are local to each channel
   type.

   The client is allowed to send further messages without waiting for
   the response to the request.

Ylonen & Moffat, Editor    Expires March 31, 2004               [Page 7]

Internet-Draft          SSH Connection Protocol                 Oct 2003

   request type names follow the DNS extensibility naming convention
   outlined in [SSH-ARCH]

     byte      SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_SUCCESS
     uint32    recipient_channel

     byte      SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_FAILURE
     uint32    recipient_channel

   These messages do not consume window space and can be sent even if no
   window space is available.

6. Interactive Sessions

   A session is a remote execution of a program.  The program may be a
   shell, an application, a system command, or some built-in subsystem.
   It may or may not have a tty, and may or may not involve X11
   forwarding. Multiple sessions can be active simultaneously.

6.1 Opening a Session

   A session is started by sending the following message.

     byte      SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_OPEN
     string    "session"
     uint32    sender channel
     uint32    initial window size
     uint32    maximum packet size

   Client implementations SHOULD reject any session channel open
   requests to make it more difficult for a corrupt server to attack the
   client.

6.2 Requesting a Pseudo-Terminal

   A pseudo-terminal can be allocated for the session by sending the
   following message.

     byte      SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_REQUEST
     uint32    recipient_channel
     string    "pty-req"
     boolean   want_reply
     string    TERM environment variable value (e.g., vt100)
     uint32    terminal width, characters (e.g., 80)
     uint32    terminal height, rows (e.g., 24)
     uint32    terminal width, pixels (e.g., 640)
     uint32    terminal height, pixels (e.g., 480)

Ylonen & Moffat, Editor    Expires March 31, 2004               [Page 8]

Internet-Draft          SSH Connection Protocol                 Oct 2003

     string    encoded terminal modes

   The encoding of terminal modes is described in Section Encoding of
   Terminal Modes (Section 8). Zero dimension parameters MUST be
   ignored. The character/row dimensions override the pixel dimensions
   (when nonzero). Pixel dimensions refer to the drawable area of the
   window.

   The dimension parameters are only informational.

   The client SHOULD ignore pty requests.

6.3 X11 Forwarding

6.3.1 Requesting X11 Forwarding

   X11 forwarding may be requested for a session by sending

     byte      SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_REQUEST
     uint32    recipient channel
     string    "x11-req"
     boolean   want reply
     boolean   single connection
     string    x11 authentication protocol
     string    x11 authentication cookie
     uint32    x11 screen number

   It is recommended that the authentication cookie that is sent be a
   fake, random cookie, and that the cookie is checked and replaced by
   the real cookie when a connection request is received.

   X11 connection forwarding should stop when the session channel is
   closed; however, already opened forwardings should not be
   automatically closed when the session channel is closed.

   If `single connection' is TRUE, only a single connection should be
   forwarded.  No more connections will be forwarded after the first, or
   after the session channel has been closed.

   The "x11 authentication protocol" is the name of the X11
   authentication method used, e.g. "MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1".

   The x11 authentication cookie MUST be hexadecimal encoded.

   X Protocol is documented in [SCHEIFLER].

Ylonen & Moffat, Editor    Expires March 31, 2004               [Page 9]

Internet-Draft          SSH Connection Protocol                 Oct 2003

6.3.2 X11 Channels

   X11 channels are opened with a channel open request.  The resulting
   channels are independent of the session, and closing the session
   channel does not close the forwarded X11 channels.

     byte      SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_OPEN
     string    "x11"
     uint32    sender channel
     uint32    initial window size
     uint32    maximum packet size
     string    originator address (e.g. "192.168.7.38")
     uint32    originator port

   The recipient should respond with SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_OPEN_CONFIRMATION
   or SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_OPEN_FAILURE.

   Implementations MUST reject any X11 channel open requests if they
   have not requested X11 forwarding.

6.4 Environment Variable Passing

   Environment variables may be passed to the shell/command to be
   started later. Uncontrolled setting of environment variables in a
   privileged process can be a security hazard.  It is recommended that
   implementations either maintain a list of allowable variable names or
   only set environment variables after the server process has dropped
   sufficient privileges.

     byte      SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_REQUEST
     uint32    recipient channel
     string    "env"
     boolean   want reply
     string    variable name
     string    variable value

6.5 Starting a Shell or a Command

   Once the session has been set up, a program is started at the remote
   end. The program can be a shell, an application program or a
   subsystem with a host-independent name.  Only one of these requests
   can succeed per channel.

     byte      SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_REQUEST
     uint32    recipient channel
     string    "shell"
     boolean   want reply

Ylonen & Moffat, Editor    Expires March 31, 2004              [Page 10]

Internet-Draft          SSH Connection Protocol                 Oct 2003

   This message will request the user's default shell (typically defined
   in /etc/passwd in UNIX systems) to be started at the other end.

     byte      SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_REQUEST
     uint32    recipient channel
     string    "exec"
     boolean   want reply
     string    command

   This message will request the server to start the execution of the
   given command. The command string may contain a path. Normal
   precautions MUST be taken to prevent the execution of unauthorized
   commands.

     byte      SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_REQUEST
     uint32    recipient channel
     string    "subsystem"
     boolean   want reply
     string    subsystem name

   This last form executes a predefined subsystem.  It is expected that
   these will include a general file transfer mechanism, and possibly
   other features.  Implementations may also allow configuring more such
   mechanisms. As the user's shell is usually used to execute the
   subsystem, it is advisable for the subsystem protocol to have a
   "magic cookie" at the beginning of the protocol transaction to
   distinguish it from arbitrary output generated by shell
   initialization scripts etc. This spurious output from the shell may
   be filtered out either at the server or at the client.

   The server SHOULD not halt the execution of the protocol stack when
   starting a shell or a program. All input and output from these SHOULD
   be redirected to the channel or to the encrypted tunnel.

   It is RECOMMENDED to request and check the reply for these messages.
   The client SHOULD ignore these messages.

   Subsystem names follow the DNS extensibility naming convention
   outlined in [SSH-ARCH].

6.6 Session Data Transfer

   Data transfer for a session is done using SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_DATA and
   SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_EXTENDED_DATA packets and the window mechanism.  The
   extended data type SSH_EXTENDED_DATA_STDERR has been defined for
   stderr data.

Ylonen & Moffat, Editor    Expires March 31, 2004              [Page 11]

Internet-Draft          SSH Connection Protocol                 Oct 2003

6.7 Window Dimension Change Message

   When the window (terminal) size changes on the client side, it MAY
   send a message to the other side to inform it of the new dimensions.

     byte      SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_REQUEST
     uint32    recipient_channel
     string    "window-change"
     boolean   FALSE
     uint32    terminal width, columns
     uint32    terminal height, rows
     uint32    terminal width, pixels
     uint32    terminal height, pixels

    No response SHOULD be sent to this message.

6.8 Local Flow Control

   On many systems, it is possible to determine if a pseudo-terminal is
   using control-S/control-Q flow control.  When flow control is
   allowed, it is often desirable to do the flow control at the client
   end to speed up responses to user requests.  This is facilitated by
   the following notification.  Initially, the server is responsible for
   flow control. (Here, again, client means the side originating the
   session, and server means the other side.)

   The message below is used by the server to inform the client when it
   can or cannot perform flow control (control-S/control-Q processing).
   If `client can do' is TRUE, the client is allowed to do flow control
   using control-S and control-Q.  The client MAY ignore this message.

     byte      SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_REQUEST
     uint32    recipient channel
     string    "xon-xoff"
     boolean   FALSE
     boolean   client can do

   No response is sent to this message.

6.9 Signals

   A signal can be delivered to the remote process/service using the
   following message.  Some systems may not implement signals, in which
   case they SHOULD ignore this message.

     byte      SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_REQUEST
     uint32    recipient channel
     string    "signal"

Ylonen & Moffat, Editor    Expires March 31, 2004              [Page 12]

Internet-Draft          SSH Connection Protocol                 Oct 2003

     boolean   FALSE
     string    signal name without the "SIG" prefix.

   Signal names will be encoded as discussed in the "exit-signal"
   SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_REQUEST.

6.10 Returning Exit Status

   When the command running at the other end terminates, the following
   message can be sent to return the exit status of the command.
   Returning the status is RECOMMENDED.  No acknowledgment is sent for
   this message.  The channel needs to be closed with
   SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_CLOSE after this message.

   The client MAY ignore these messages.

     byte      SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_REQUEST
     uint32    recipient_channel
     string    "exit-status"
     boolean   FALSE
     uint32    exit_status

   The remote command may also terminate violently due to a signal.
   Such a condition can be indicated by the following message. A zero
   exit_status usually means that the command terminated successfully.

     byte      SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_REQUEST
     uint32    recipient channel
     string    "exit-signal"
     boolean   FALSE
     string    signal name without the "SIG" prefix.
     boolean   core dumped
     string    error message (ISO-10646 UTF-8)
     string    language tag (as defined in [RFC3066])

   The signal name is one of the following (these are from [POSIX])

     ABRT
     ALRM
     FPE
     HUP
     ILL
     INT
     KILL
     PIPE
     QUIT
     SEGV
     TERM

Ylonen & Moffat, Editor    Expires March 31, 2004              [Page 13]

Internet-Draft          SSH Connection Protocol                 Oct 2003

     USR1
     USR2

   Additional signal names MAY be sent in the format "sig-name@xyz",
   where `sig-name' and `xyz' may be anything a particular implementor
   wants (except the `@' sign). However, it is suggested that if a
   `configure' script is used, the non-standard signal names it finds be
   encoded as "[email-masked]", where `SIG' is the signal name
   without the "SIG" prefix, and `xyz' be the host type, as determined
   by `config.guess'.

   The `error message' contains an additional explanation of the error
   message. The message may consist of multiple lines. The client
   software MAY display this message to the user. If this is done, the
   client software should take the precautions discussed in [SSH-ARCH].

7. TCP/IP Port Forwarding

7.1 Requesting Port Forwarding

   A party need not explicitly request forwardings from its own end to
   the other direction.  However, if it wishes that connections to a
   port on the other side be forwarded to the local side, it must
   explicitly request this.

     byte      SSH_MSG_GLOBAL_REQUEST
     string    "tcpip-forward"
     boolean   want reply
     string    address to bind (e.g. "0.0.0.0")
     uint32    port number to bind

   `Address to bind' and `port number to bind' specify the IP address
   and port to which the socket to be listened is bound.  The address
   should be "0.0.0.0" if connections are allowed from anywhere. (Note
   that the client can still filter connections based on information
   passed in the open request.)

   Implementations should only allow forwarding privileged ports if the
   user has been authenticated as a privileged user.

   Client implementations SHOULD reject these messages; they are
   normally only sent by the client.

   If a client passes 0 as port number to bind and has want reply TRUE
   then the server allocates the next available unprivileged port number
   and replies with the following message, otherwise there is no

Ylonen & Moffat, Editor    Expires March 31, 2004              [Page 14]

Internet-Draft          SSH Connection Protocol                 Oct 2003

   response specific data.

     byte     SSH_MSG_GLOBAL_REQUEST_SUCCESS
     uint32   port that was bound on the server

   A port forwarding can be cancelled with the following message.  Note
   that channel open requests may be received until a reply to this
   message is received.

     byte      SSH_MSG_GLOBAL_REQUEST
     string    "cancel-tcpip-forward"
     boolean   want reply
     string    address_to_bind (e.g. "127.0.0.1")
     uint32    port number to bind

   Client implementations SHOULD reject these messages; they are
   normally only sent by the client.

7.2 TCP/IP Forwarding Channels

   When a connection comes to a port for which remote forwarding has
   been requested, a channel is opened to forward the port to the other
   side.

     byte      SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_OPEN
     string    "forwarded-tcpip"
     uint32    sender channel
     uint32    initial window size
     uint32    maximum packet size
     string    address that was connected
     uint32    port that was connected
     string    originator IP address
     uint32    originator port

   Implementations MUST reject these messages unless they have
   previously requested a remote TCP/IP port forwarding with the given
   port number.

   When a connection comes to a locally forwarded TCP/IP port, the
   following packet is sent to the other side.  Note that these messages
   MAY be sent also for ports for which no forwarding has been
   explicitly requested.  The receiving side must decide whether to
   allow the forwarding.

     byte      SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_OPEN
     string    "direct-tcpip"
     uint32    sender channel

Ylonen & Moffat, Editor    Expires March 31, 2004              [Page 15]

Internet-Draft          SSH Connection Protocol                 Oct 2003

     uint32    initial window size
     uint32    maximum packet size
     string    host to connect
     uint32    port to connect
     string    originator IP address
     uint32    originator port

   `Host to connect' and `port to connect' specify the TCP/IP host and
   port where the recipient should connect the channel. `Host to
   connect' may be either a domain name or a numeric IP address.

   `Originator IP address' is the numeric IP address of the machine
   where the connection request comes from, and `originator port' is the
   port on the originator host from where the connection came from.

   Forwarded TCP/IP channels are independent of any sessions, and
   closing a session channel does not in any way imply that forwarded
   connections should be closed.

   Client implementations SHOULD reject direct TCP/IP open requests for
   security reasons.

8. Encoding of Terminal Modes

   Terminal modes (as passed in a pty request) are encoded into a byte
   stream.  It is intended that the coding be portable across different
   environments.

   The tty mode description is a stream of bytes.  The stream consists
   of opcode-argument pairs.  It is terminated by opcode TTY_OP_END (0).
   Opcodes 1 to 159 have a single uint32 argument. Opcodes 160 to 255
   are not yet defined, and cause parsing to stop (they should only be
   used after any other data).

   The client SHOULD put in the stream any modes it knows about, and the
   server MAY ignore any modes it does not know about.  This allows some
   degree of machine-independence, at least between systems that use a
   POSIX-like tty interface.  The protocol can support other systems as
   well, but the client may need to fill reasonable values for a number
   of parameters so the server pty gets set to a reasonable mode (the
   server leaves all unspecified mode bits in their default values, and
   only some combinations make sense).

   The following opcodes have been defined.  The naming of opcodes
   mostly follows the POSIX terminal mode flags.

   0   TTY_OP_END     Indicates end of options.
   1   VINTR          Interrupt character; 255 if none.  Similarly for the

Ylonen & Moffat, Editor    Expires March 31, 2004              [Page 16]

Internet-Draft          SSH Connection Protocol                 Oct 2003

                      other characters. Not all of these characters are
                      supported on all systems.
   2   VQUIT          The quit character (sends SIGQUIT signal on POSIX
                      systems).
   3   VERASE         Erase the character to left of the cursor.
   4   VKILL          Kill the current input line.
   5   VEOF           End-of-file character (sends EOF from the terminal).
   6   VEOL           End-of-line character in addition to carriage return
                      and/or linefeed.
   7   VEOL2          Additional end-of-line character.
   8   VSTART         Continues paused output (normally control-Q).
   9   VSTOP          Pauses output (normally control-S).
   10  VSUSP          Suspends the current program.
   11  VDSUSP         Another suspend character.
   12  VREPRINT       Reprints the current input line.
   13  VWERASE        Erases a word left of cursor.
   14  VLNEXT         Enter the next character typed literally, even if it
                      is a special character
   15  VFLUSH         Character to flush output.
   16  VSWTCH         Switch to a different shell layer.
   17  VSTATUS        Prints system status line (load, command, pid etc).
   18  VDISCARD       Toggles the flushing of terminal output.
   30  IGNPAR         The ignore parity flag.  The parameter SHOULD be 0 if
                      this flag is FALSE set, and 1 if it is TRUE.
   31  PARMRK         Mark parity and framing errors.
   32  INPCK          Enable checking of parity errors.
   33  ISTRIP         Strip 8th bit off characters.
   34  INLCR          Map NL into CR on input.
   35  IGNCR          Ignore CR on input.
   36  ICRNL          Map CR to NL on input.
   37  IUCLC          Translate uppercase characters to lowercase.
   38  IXON           Enable output flow control.
   39  IXANY          Any char will restart after stop.
   40  IXOFF          Enable input flow control.
   41  IMAXBEL        Ring bell on input queue full.
   50  ISIG           Enable signals INTR, QUIT, [D]SUSP.
   51  ICANON         Canonicalize input lines.
   52  XCASE          Enable input and output of uppercase characters by
                      preceding their lowercase equivalents with `\'.
   53  ECHO           Enable echoing.
   54  ECHOE          Visually erase chars.
   55  ECHOK          Kill character discards current line.
   56  ECHONL         Echo NL even if ECHO is off.
   57  NOFLSH         Don't flush after interrupt.
   58  TOSTOP         Stop background jobs from output.
   59  IEXTEN         Enable extensions.
   60  ECHOCTL        Echo control characters as ^(Char).
   61  ECHOKE         Visual erase for line kill.

Ylonen & Moffat, Editor    Expires March 31, 2004              [Page 17]

Internet-Draft          SSH Connection Protocol                 Oct 2003

   62  PENDIN         Retype pending input.
   70  OPOST          Enable output processing.
   71  OLCUC          Convert lowercase to uppercase.
   72  ONLCR          Map NL to CR-NL.
   73  OCRNL          Translate carriage return to newline (output).
   74  ONOCR          Translate newline to carriage return-newline
                      (output).
   75  ONLRET         Newline performs a carriage return (output).
   90  CS7            7 bit mode.
   91  CS8            8 bit mode.
   92  PARENB         Parity enable.
   93  PARODD         Odd parity, else even.

   128 TTY_OP_ISPEED  Specifies the input baud rate in bits per second.
   129 TTY_OP_OSPEED  Specifies the output baud rate in bits per second.

9. Summary of Message Numbers

     #define SSH_MSG_GLOBAL_REQUEST                  80
     #define SSH_MSG_REQUEST_SUCCESS                 81
     #define SSH_MSG_REQUEST_FAILURE                 82
     #define SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_OPEN                    90
     #define SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_OPEN_CONFIRMATION       91
     #define SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_OPEN_FAILURE            92
     #define SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_WINDOW_ADJUST           93
     #define SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_DATA                    94
     #define SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_EXTENDED_DATA           95
     #define SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_EOF                     96
     #define SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_CLOSE                   97
     #define SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_REQUEST                 98
     #define SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_SUCCESS                 99
     #define SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_FAILURE                 100

10. Security Considerations

   This protocol is assumed to run on top of a secure, authenticated
   transport.  User authentication and protection against network-level
   attacks are assumed to be provided by the underlying protocols.

   It is RECOMMENDED that implementations disable all the potentially
   dangerous features (e.g. agent forwarding, X11 forwarding, and TCP/IP
   forwarding) if the host key has changed.

   Full security considerations for this protocol are provided in
   Section 8 of [SSH-ARCH]

Ylonen & Moffat, Editor    Expires March 31, 2004              [Page 18]

Internet-Draft          SSH Connection Protocol                 Oct 2003

11. iana cONSiderations

   This document is part of a set, the IANA considerations for the SSH
   protocol as defined in [SSH-ARCH], [SSH-TRANS], [SSH-USERAUTH],
   [SSH-CONNECT] are detailed in [SSH-NUMBERS].

12. Intellectual Property

   The IETF takes no position regarding the validity or scope of any
   intellectual property or other rights that might be claimed to
   pertain to the implementation or use of the technology described in
   this document or the extent to which any license under such rights
   might or might not be available; neither does it represent that it
   has made any effort to identify any such rights. Information on the
   IETF's procedures with respect to rights in standards-track and
   standards-related documentation can be found in BCP-11. Copies of
   claims of rights made available for publication and any assurances of
   licenses to be made available, or the result of an attempt made to
   obtain a general license or permission for the use of such
   proprietary rights by implementers or users of this specification can
   be obtained from the IETF Secretariat.

   The IETF has been notified of intellectual property rights claimed in
   regard to some or all of the specification contained in this
   document. For more information consult the online list of claimed
   rights.

Normative References

   [SSH-ARCH]
              Ylonen, T., "SSH Protocol Architecture", I-D
              draft-ietf-architecture-15.txt, Oct 2003.

   [SSH-TRANS]
              Ylonen, T., "SSH Transport Layer Protocol", I-D
              draft-ietf-transport-17.txt, Oct 2003.

   [SSH-USERAUTH]
              Ylonen, T., "SSH Authentication Protocol", I-D
              draft-ietf-userauth-18.txt, Oct 2003.

   [SSH-CONNECT]
              Ylonen, T., "SSH Connection Protocol", I-D
              draft-ietf-connect-18.txt, Oct 2003.

   [SSH-NUMBERS]
              Lehtinen, S. and D. Moffat, "SSH Protocol Assigned
              Numbers", I-D draft-ietf-secsh-assignednumbers-05.txt, Oct

Ylonen & Moffat, Editor    Expires March 31, 2004              [Page 19]

Internet-Draft          SSH Connection Protocol                 Oct 2003

              2003.

   [RFC2119]  Bradner, S., "Key words for use in RFCs to Indicate
              Requirement Levels", BCP 14, RFC 2119, March 1997.

Informative References

   [RFC3066]  Alvestrand, H., "Tags for the Identification of
              Languages", BCP 47, RFC 3066, January 2001.

   [RFC1884]  Hinden, R. and S. Deering, "IP Version 6 Addressing
              Architecture", RFC 1884, December 1995.

   [RFC2279]  Yergeau, F., "UTF-8, a transformation format of ISO
              10646", RFC 2279, January 1998.

   [SCHEIFLER]
              Scheifler, R., "X Window System : The Complete Reference
              to Xlib, X Protocol, Icccm, Xlfd, 3rd edition.", Digital
              Press ISBN 1555580882, Feburary 1992.

   [POSIX]    ISO/IEC, 9945-1., "Information technology -- Portable
              Operating System Interface  (POSIX)-Part 1: System
              Application Program Interface (API) C Language", ANSI/IEE
              Std 1003.1, July 1996.

Authors' Addresses

   Tatu Ylonen
   SSH Communications Security Corp
   Fredrikinkatu 42
   HELSINKI  FIN-00100
   Finland

   EMail: [email-masked]

   Darren J. Moffat (editor)
   Sun Microsystems, Inc
   17 Network Circle
   Menlo Park  CA 94025
   USA

   EMail: [email-masked]

Ylonen & Moffat, Editor    Expires March 31, 2004              [Page 20]

Internet-Draft          SSH Connection Protocol                 Oct 2003

Intellectual Property Statement

   The IETF takes no position regarding the validity or scope of any
   intellectual property or other rights that might be claimed to
   pertain to the implementation or use of the technology described in
   this document or the extent to which any license under such rights
   might or might not be available; neither does it represent that it
   has made any effort to identify any such rights. Information on the
   IETF's procedures with respect to rights in standards-track and
   standards-related documentation can be found in BCP-11. Copies of
   claims of rights made available for publication and any assurances of
   licenses to be made available, or the result of an attempt made to
   obtain a general license or permission for the use of such
   proprietary rights by implementors or users of this specification can
   be obtained from the IETF Secretariat.

   The IETF invites any interested party to bring to its attention any
   copyrights, patents or patent applications, or other proprietary
   rights which may cover technology that may be required to practice
   this standard. Please address the information to the IETF Executive
   Director.

   The IETF has been notified of intellectual property rights claimed in
   regard to some or all of the specification contained in this
   document. For more information consult the online list of claimed
   rights.

Full Copyright Statement

   Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2003). All Rights Reserved.

   This document and translations of it may be copied and furnished to
   others, and derivative works that comment on or otherwise explain it
   or assist in its implementation may be prepared, copied, published
   and distributed, in whole or in part, without restriction of any
   kind, provided that the above copyright notice and this paragraph are
   included on all such copies and derivative works. However, this
   document itself may not be modified in any way, such as by removing
   the copyright notice or references to the Internet Society or other
   Internet organizations, except as needed for the purpose of
   developing Internet standards in which case the procedures for
   copyrights defined in the Internet Standards process must be
   followed, or as required to translate it into languages other than
   English.

   The limited permissions granted above are perpetual and will not be
   revoked by the Internet Society or its successors or assignees.

Ylonen & Moffat, Editor    Expires March 31, 2004              [Page 21]

Internet-Draft          SSH Connection Protocol                 Oct 2003

   This document and the information contained herein is provided on an
   "AS IS" basis and THE INTERNET SOCIETY AND THE INTERNET ENGINEERING
   TASK FORCE DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING
   BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY WARRANTY THAT THE USE OF THE INFORMATION
   HEREIN WILL NOT INFRINGE ANY RIGHTS OR ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
   MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Acknowledgment

   Funding for the RFC Editor function is currently provided by the
   Internet Society.

Ylonen & Moffat, Editor    Expires March 31, 2004              [Page 22]

--
Darren J Moffat