Subject: additional IESG issue with transport draft: groups

From: Bill Sommerfeld <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 01:47:47 -0500

Russ raised another objection:

> We need flexibility in the groups that are used.  The way that section 
> 7 is written, it leads me to believe that only the group included in 
> section 7.1 can be used.  I think we need to allow a future RFC to specify 
> alternatives.

In a private message, Russ suggested this remedy:
> -- MUST support parameters in 7.1
> -- SHOULD support parameters defined in other Standards-Track RFCs
> -- MAY support any other parameters.

However, "SHOULD support parameters defined in other Standards-Track
RFC's is a little open-ended for me..

Instead, I'd suggest adding the following text, right before section 7.1

"This document defines one group, diffie-hellman-group1-sha1.  Other
groups may be defined by other specifications."

.. and toss in an informative (i.e., non-blocking) reference to
dh-group-exchange as one such example.

					- Bill