Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-secsh-scp-sftp-ssh-uri-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 15:10:08 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Secure Shell Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: SCP/SFTP/SSH URI Format
	Author(s)	: S. Suehring, J. Salowey
	Filename	: draft-ietf-secsh-scp-sftp-ssh-uri-01.txt
	Pages		: 7
	Date		: 2003-11-18
	
This document describes the Uniform Resource Identifiers used to
locate resources for the SCP, SFTP, and SSH protocols.  The document
describes the generic syntax involved in URI definitions as well as
specific definitions for each protocol.  These specific definitions
may include user credentials such as username and password and also
may include other parameters such as fingerprint.  In addition, 
security considerations and examples are also provided within this
document.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-secsh-scp-sftp-ssh-uri-01.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-secsh-scp-sftp-ssh-uri-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-secsh-scp-sftp-ssh-uri-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Ben Harris <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 23:28:41 +0000

>	Filename	: draft-ietf-secsh-scp-sftp-ssh-uri-01.txt

A few comments:

Reference 5 should be updated to draft-hoffman-rfc1738bis-01.txt.

There's no reference for either the SFTP or SCP protocol definitions.

The specification of SCP and SFTP URIs don't specify what to do with each of
the hierarchical sections of an SCP or SFTP URI.  The reference to
rfc1738bis is insufficient, since that specifies that clients execute a
"CWD" command for each component except the last, and neither SCP nor SFTP
has such a command.

The definition of "lineend" is poor, since '\r' and '\n' are C-isms, and in
particular some C compilers treat '\n' as ASCII CR and '\r' as ASCII LF. 
This should probably just refer to the relevant part of the SFTP spec (which
isn't referenced, so I can't find it).

I believe that '\' isn't a permitted character in a URI, so specifying its
use is silly.

Perhaps the semantics of asking for an SFTP directory listing should be
stated.

There should be a quick sentence describing what each example means.

The last example seems particularly odd, in that it's an SFTP URI with no
filename.

-- 
Ben Harris

---

From: Ben Harris <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 01:06:37 +0000

>	Filename	: draft-ietf-secsh-scp-sftp-ssh-uri-01.txt

Another comment:  The "conn-parameters" in the draft aren't allowed for by
the server-based authority syntax described in section 3.2.2 of RFC 2396. 
I'd suggest souping up userinfo instead, since its internal syntax is left
up to the scheme.

-- 
Ben Harris