Subject: Another minor note re drafts

From: der Mouse <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 19:37:56 -0500 (EST)

Something else odd that I notice in the drafts is that newmodes-01
contains some non-ASCII characters in an apparently gratuitous and
rather odd way.  Specifically, it contains the octet sequence 0x82 0xc7
0xd6 in a number of places where I would expect an apostrophe (') to
appear, and there are no apostrophes at all present.

My first thought was that this was because someone used an unusual
character as an apostrophe (like the acute accent ´ that far too often
gets misused as an apostrophe) and it got UTF-8 encoded, but that
sequence is not a valid UTF-8 encoding as I read RFC 2279, so I have no
idea what it is.  Whatever it is, I think it would be a good idea to
fix it.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       [email-masked]
/ \ Email!	     7D C8 61 52 5D E7 2D 39  4E F1 31 3E E8 B3 27 4B

---

From: [email-masked] (Peter Gutmann)
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 14:12:28 +1300

der Mouse <[email-masked]> writes:

>Something else odd that I notice in the drafts is that newmodes-01 contains
>some non-ASCII characters in an apparently gratuitous and rather odd way.
>Specifically, it contains the octet sequence 0x82 0xc7 0xd6 in a number of
>places where I would expect an apostrophe (') to appear, and there are no
>apostrophes at all present.

I'd guess that's MS Word 'smart' quotes.  I've seen them in Usenet postings
and RFC drafts written using Word.

Peter.