Subject: SSHFP implementations?

From: Jakob Schlyter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 16:17:19 +0100 (CET)

has anyone other than OpenSSH implemented, or planned, support for
draft-ietf-secsh-dns-xx (SSHFP) in their clients?

	jakob

---

From: der Mouse <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 16:16:20 -0500 (EST)

> draft-ietf-secsh-dns-xx (SSHFP) in their clients?

Once I have a DNS server that can handle the relevant RRs, I intend to
add support.  (My ssh implementation is not yet to the point of
usability.  I expect it to be so well before I have a DNS server that
supports SSHFP records.)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       [email-masked]
/ \ Email!	     7D C8 61 52 5D E7 2D 39  4E F1 31 3E E8 B3 27 4B

---

From: Jeffrey Hutzelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 20:18:04 -0500

> usability.  I expect it to be so well before I have a DNS server that

It would appear that you can use BIND 9 for this today, by taking advantage 
of the representation for unknown RRtypes defined in RFC3597.

-- Jeffrey T. Hutzelman (N3NHS) <[email-masked]>
   Sr. Research Systems Programmer
   School of Computer Science - Research Computing Facility
   Carnegie Mellon University - Pittsburgh, PA

---

From: der Mouse <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 21:28:17 -0500 (EST)

>>> [SSHFP?]
>> Once I have a DNS server that can handle the relevant RRs, [...]
> It would appear that you can use BIND 9 for this today, by taking
> advantage of the representation for unknown RRtypes defined in
> RFC3597.

Thanks for the pointer to 3597...but until a type value is assigned,
even 3597 format isn't much use.  dns-05 says "The RR type code for the
SSHFP RR is TBA.".

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign

---

From: Jeffrey Hutzelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 21:57:51 -0500

> even 3597 format isn't much use.  dns-05 says "The RR type code for the

I went looking for an "experimental" value, and failed to find one, which 
is not too surprising given the limited namespace.  However, what I did 
find is that IANA has apparently already assigned a value for SSHFP.  The 
IANA registry at http://www.iana.org/assignments/dns-parameters says the 
correct value is 44.

-- Jeff

---

From: [email-masked] (Niels Möller)
Date: 09 Dec 2003 17:46:18 +0100

> draft-ietf-secsh-dns-xx (SSHFP) in their clients?

I'd definitely like to support it in lsh, but it's not currently a
high priority.

/Niels