Subject: Secure Shell question on ASCII transfers

From: "Harding, Matthew" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 09:54:04 -0500

I am new to the ietf and am not sure if this is the correct place for this
to go, but please forward this to where ever it should go.

I had a question about  why ASCII transfers have not been added to the SFTP
protocol?  In a day in age where security is a severe issue and many
companies and organizations are moving away from FTP to SFTP has the issue
of ASCII transfers been addressed at all?    I would like to hear any
feedback or insight anyone would be able to give me on this issue.  

Matthew Harding

---

From: Richard Whalen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 11:09:32 -0400

(resent to list due a typo I made in the address the first time)

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Whalen 
Sent: Monday, April 26, 2004 11:08 AM
To: 'Harding, Matthew'; [email-masked]'
Subject: RE: Secure Shell question on ASCII transfers

Text (or ASCII) transfers were added in draft-ietf-secsh-filexfer-04 and are
included in the current draft
(http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-secsh-filexfer-05.txt).
Many implementations are of the 03 draft, which did not include text
transfers.

----------------------
Richard Whalen
Process Software

-----Original Message-----
From: Harding, Matthew [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, April 26, 2004 10:54 AM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: Secure Shell question on ASCII transfers

Matthew Harding