Subject: channel-request

From: der Mouse <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 04:07:01 -0400 (EDT)

Reading connect-18, I see that CHANNEL_REQUEST says that "If want reply
is FALSE, no response will be sent to the request"; it also says that
"If the request is not recognized or is not supported for the channel,
SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_FAILURE is returned".

Which of these trumps the other?  That is, if an unrecognized or
unsupported request arrives with want-reply FALSE, is a failure request
sent, or not?

Based on the difficulty of associating responses with requests if the
latter wins, I would guess the former wins (ie, no response is to be
sent in such a circumstance).

First, is my guess correct?

Second, if so, might it be good to clarify this, such as by changing
the latter sentence to something like "If the request is not recognized
or is not supported for the channel, SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_FAILURE is
returned (unless want reply is FALSE)"?

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       [email-masked]
/ \ Email!	     7D C8 61 52 5D E7 2D 39  4E F1 31 3E E8 B3 27 4B

---

From: [email-masked] (Niels Möller)
Date: 04 Apr 2004 21:12:28 +0200

> SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_FAILURE is returned".

If you set want_reply = FALSE, the other end must *not* send any reply
to the request. It doesn't matter if the request succeeds or fails,
and it doesn't matter why it fails if it fails.

/Niels

---

From: Nicolas Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 16:03:00 -0500

On Sun, Apr 04, 2004 at 04:07:01AM -0400, der Mouse wrote:
> Which of these trumps the other?

The former.

>                                   That is, if an unrecognized or

No failure reply is sent if want-reply == FALSE.

> sent in such a circumstance).

Yup.

> First, is my guess correct?

Yup.

> returned (unless want reply is FALSE)"?

Yes.  The text is a bit confsing.

Nico
--