Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-secsh-userauth-20.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 15:57:27 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Secure Shell Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: SSH Authentication Protocol
	Author(s)	: T. Ylonen, C. Lonvick
	Filename	: draft-ietf-secsh-userauth-20.txt
	Pages		: 16
	Date		: 2004-5-26
	
SSH is a protocol for secure remote login and other secure network
   services over an insecure network.  This document describes the SSH
   authentication protocol framework and public key, password, and
   host-based client authentication methods.  Additional authentication
   methods are described in separate documents.  The SSH authentication
   protocol runs on top of the SSH transport layer protocol and provides
   a single authenticated tunnel for the SSH connection protocol.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-secsh-userauth-20.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-secsh-userauth-20.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-secsh-userauth-20.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: der Mouse <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 16:05:45 -0400 (EDT)

> A New Internet-Draft is available [...]

There are some very bad line breaks - it looks to me as though an
automated tool hiccuped and nobody caught it in time.  Obviously,
they're not worth reissuing immediately to fix, but I'd say they
probably should be fixed next time around.

I diffed userauth-20 against userauth-18; here are the relevant
fragments cut-and-pasted from the diff:

========
    All authentication requests MUST use the following message format.
    Only the first few fields are defined; the remaining fields depend on
    the authentication method.
 
      byte      SSH_MSG_USERAUTH_REQUEST
-     string    user name (in ISO-10646 UTF-8 encoding [RFC2279])
+     string    user name (in ISO-10646 UTF-8 encoding
+   [RFC2279]
+   )
      string    service name (in US-ASCII)
      string    method name (US-ASCII)
      The rest of the packet is method-specific.
========
 
      byte      SSH_MSG_USERAUTH_BANNER
      string    message (ISO-10646 UTF-8)
-     string    language tag (as defined in [RFC3066])
+     string    language tag (as defined in
+   [RFC3066]
+   )
 
    The client SHOULD by default display the message on the screen.
    However, since the message is likely to be sent for every login
========
      byte      SSH_MSG_USERAUTH_PASSWD_CHANGEREQ
      string    prompt (ISO-10646 UTF-8)
-     string    language tag (as defined in [RFC3066])
+
+
+
+Ylonen & Lonvick       Expires November 23, 2004               [Page
10]
+^L
+Internet-Draft        SSH Authentication Protocol               May
2004
+
+
+     string    language tag (as defined in
+   [RFC3066]
+   )
========

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       [email-masked]
/ \ Email!	     7D C8 61 52 5D E7 2D 39  4E F1 31 3E E8 B3 27 4B

---

From: Chris Lonvick <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 16:42:32 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

On Wed, 26 May 2004, der Mouse wrote:

> automated tool hiccuped and nobody caught it in time.

That would be _me_.  I was trying to replace all of the static references
with xml pointers.  Unfortunately those were in "artwork" rather than in
"list" which seems to make xml2rfc rather grumpy.  It didn't show up well
in the htmlwdiff so I missed it.

It seems that my efforts to update the updated IDs went wrong somehow.
When I submitted the 5 IDs in the same email, I got a response back from
the ID Editors which I assumed meant that they were all going into the
repository.  When the ID Editor contacted me later to resubmit them
individually, I (again)  upped the revision number of them all.
Evidently, only USERAUTH got updated in the first round so my last set of
revisions were bounced for being non-sequential.  I'm starting to make
some editorial changes to the IDs so things are a bit of a mess at the
moment.  What I'll do is to go back and re-send the first batch of IDs to
the ID Editors so that things stay synchronized.  Once I get things
cleaned up again, I'll submit the second batch and everyone can review
those changes.

Thanks,
Chris