Subject: question related to the DH-GEX draft

From: Scott Rankin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 13:00:31 -0700

I am trying to figure out what NL is (quoted below)?

From Section 5 of [1],
"...
     The hash H is computed as the HASH hash of the concatenation of the
     following:
       string    V_C, the client's version string (CR and NL excluded)
       string    V_S, the server's version string (CR and NL excluded)"

It looks to me like [SSH-TRANS] defines these version strings as,
     SSH-protoversion-softwareversion SP comments CR LF

Perhaps this is just a typo and is supposed to read,
...
       string    V_C, the client's version string (CR and LF excluded)
       string    V_S, the server's version string (CR and LF excluded)

cheers,
scott rankin

[1]
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-secsh-dh-group-exchange-04.tx
t

[SSH-TRANS]
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-secsh-transport-18.txt

---

From: Bill Sommerfeld <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 16:03:21 -0400

> I am trying to figure out what NL is (quoted below)?

NL=newline.  Alternate name for ASCII LF common to folks from the UNIX/C
universe.

						- Bill

---

From: der Mouse <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 23:31:12 -0400 (EDT)

> I am trying to figure out what NL is (quoted below)?

NL is one of the two names (the other one is LF) for the ASCII
character with code 10 (0x0a, etc).

That character has two names because it is commonly interpreted in two
distinct ways: as <L>ine <F>eed or as <N>ew <L>ine.

In this case, they should probably be LF, not NL, since NL is
appropriate when that single octet performs a new-line function,
whereas here, its pairing with CR implies that it is acting as LF
rather than NL.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       [email-masked]
/ \ Email!	     7D C8 61 52 5D E7 2D 39  4E F1 31 3E E8 B3 27 4B