Subject: Re: Message Numbers and Disconnect Codes

From: Martin Forssen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 18:31:32 +0200 (CEST)

On 22 Jul, Chris Lonvick wrote:
> We could say that 1..254 are assigned via IETF Consensus and 255 is
> reserved for Private Use.  Any objections to that?

Yes, I would prefer to have a number of message codes reserved for
private use. Some extensions are cleaner to implement with a number of
separate messages. Of course one wants to keep the number of messages
needed down but to limit it to just one is IMHO tad restrictive.

However I do not see any need to reserve 64 different numbers. 16 should
suffice (240..255).

	/MaF
-- 
Martin Forssen <[email-masked]>              Development Manager
Phone: +46 31 7744361                         AppGate Network Security AB

---

From: Chris Lonvick <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 06:53:26 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

> However I do not see any need to reserve 64 different numbers. 16 should

I have a bid for 16.  Do I hear any other bids?  Going..  going..  :-)

If I don't hear any objections to reserving the Disconnect Codes
of [240..255] for Private Use, then I'll incorporate that into the
documents.

Thanks,
Chris