Subject: [Fwd: Enforcement of Updated IPR Boilerplate]

From: Bill Sommerfeld <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 15:35:50 -0400

Note to document authors: Yet another process rollover.

						- Bill

-----Forwarded Message-----
From: IETF Secretariat <[email-masked]>
To: IETF Announcement list <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: Enforcement of Updated IPR Boilerplate
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 13:05:48 -0400

As you may be aware, RFC 3667 (BCP 78), "IETF Rights in Contributions," 
has been obsoleted by RFC 3978 (BCP 78), which was published in March 
2005, and which bears the same title.  The major difference between the 
two RFCs is that the IPR-related notices and disclaimers that the IETF 
requires in all Internet-Drafts have been updated to correct anomalies.

The updated versions of the required notices and disclaimers are specified 
in Section 5, "Notices Required in IETF Documents," of RFC 3978, and in 
Section 3, "IPR-Related Notices Required in Internet-Drafts," of the 
recently revised "Guidelines to Authors of Internet-Drafts" 
(http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-guidelines.html).  The "Guidelines" document 
also provides additional guidance regarding the placement of these notices.

Currently, the IETF Secretariat accepts and posts Internet-Drafts that 
include *either* the RFC 3667 or the RFC 3978 version of these notices.  
However, as of 17:00 ET on Friday May 6, 2005, the Secretariat will 
accept *only* those Internet-Drafts that comply with the requirements 
of RFC 3978, and with the most recent version of the "Guidelines" 
document.

Please note that the required notices and disclaimers must be reproduced 
verbatim since they have been legally reviewed and formally adopted as part 
of the IETF process.  The Secretariat will not accept deviations from the 
specified text, nor will it correct the text.  Any documents that do not 
comply with the requirements will be returned to the submitter.

The IETF Secretariat