Subject: Protocol Action: 'SSH Protocol Architecture' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 16:09:26 -0400

The IESG has approved the following documents:

- 'SSH Authentication Protocol '
   <draft-ietf-secsh-userauth-27.txt> as a Proposed Standard
- 'SSH Protocol Assigned Numbers '
   <draft-ietf-secsh-assignednumbers-12.txt> as a Proposed Standard
- 'SSH Protocol Architecture '
   <draft-ietf-secsh-architecture-22.txt> as a Proposed Standard
- 'SSH Connection Protocol '
   <draft-ietf-secsh-connect-25.txt> as a Proposed Standard
- 'SSH Transport Layer Protocol '
   <draft-ietf-secsh-transport-24.txt> as a Proposed Standard

These documents are products of the Secure Shell Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Russ Housley and Sam Hartman.

Technical Summary
 
 SSH is a protocol for providing an authenticated, integrity protected
 and encrypted stream between two end-points. It can optionally
 provide compression as well as multiplexing several virtual streams
 within a single TCP connection. This multiplexing feature is
 particularly useful for "tunneling" other protocols such as the X
 Window System.

 A Main focus of the SSH protocol is to provide a transport for remote
 login from a client computer system to a server system.

Working Group Summary

 There is working group consensus around this set of documents.

Protocol Quality

 These documents were reviewed by Jeffrey I. Schiller for the IESG.