Subject: sftp - transactions?

From: "denis bider" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 14:52:15 +0200

It appears that the filesystem in the next version of Windows will support
transactions. See this sample code from an MS developer:

http://blogs.msdn.com/because_we_can/archive/2005/4/25.aspx

This will be useful in file transfer. People will want to have begin
transaction, rollback and commit packets in SFTP.

I'm not saying we need to put it in the spec now - without an OS that
supports this right now, that could be premature, although I can imagine
other possible servers implementing this. However, if and when this
technology becomes available in Windows, there will be a need to support it
in SFTP, and we will want to have interoperable implementations.

It does seem that it will be a fairly simple thing of defining a few new
packet types with little additional content.

---

From: [email-masked] (Peter Gutmann)
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 01:27:58 +1200

"denis bider" <[email-masked]> writes:

>transactions.

Hasn't Windows had transactions in WinFS since it was introduced in Chicago?
(It wasn't called that then, I can't remember the codename at the time but
it's the database-filesystem that's been just around the corner for about the
last decade).  Since the last I heard we won't get these WinFS features until
the Blackcomb OS release at the end of the decade, it looks like things will
continue in this manner for some time.

Peter.

---

From: "denis bider" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 16:34:35 +0200

You are right about WinFS: the current prediction at MS seems to be that
this will be available as an upgrade about 1 year after Longhorn is out.

But if you check more info at the link I posted, MS is working on NTFS
transaction support for Longhorn, and the technology will apparently also be
included in the Longhorn beta. This is independent of WinFS.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Peter Gutmann
> Sent: Wednesday, April 27, 2005 15:28
> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: sftp - transactions?
> 
> 
> >It appears that the filesystem in the next version of Windows will 
> >support transactions.
> 
> Hasn't Windows had transactions in WinFS since it was 
> introduced in Chicago? (It wasn't called that then, I can't 
> remember the codename at the time but it's the 
> database-filesystem that's been just around the corner for 
> about the last decade).  Since the last I heard we won't get 
> these WinFS features until the Blackcomb OS release at the 
> end of the decade, it looks like things will continue in this 
> manner for some time.
> 
> Peter.
>