Subject: RFC 4251 on The Secure Shell (SSH) Protocol Architecture

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 11:19:25 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4251

        Title:      The Secure Shell (SSH) Protocol Architecture
        Author(s):  T. Ylonen, C. Lonvick, Ed.
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       January 2006
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      30
        Characters: 71750
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-secsh-architecture-22.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc4251.txt

The Secure Shell (SSH) Protocol is a protocol for secure remote login
and other secure network services over an insecure network.  This
document describes the architecture of the SSH protocol, as well as
the notation and terminology used in SSH protocol documents.  It also
discusses the SSH algorithm naming system that allows local
extensions.  The SSH protocol consists of three major components: The
Transport Layer Protocol provides server authentication,
confidentiality, and integrity with perfect forward secrecy.  The User
Authentication Protocol authenticates the client to the server.  The
Connection Protocol multiplexes the encrypted tunnel into several
logical channels.  Details of these protocols are described in
separate documents.

This document is a product of the Secure Shell Working Group of the
IETF. 

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.