Subject: simple connection

From: "Frederik Pot" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 14:59:33 +0000

Hello,

I am Frederik Pot 30 years old and live in Holland.
I want to connect from a realbasic application (on windows) to my linux 
computer on port 22.
I set the firewall off and do a xhost + command on the linux machine.
Then i can connect by tcp on port 22 and see as return something like 
SSH-OPENSSH4.
So there is a sort of connection.........

Well for me it is difficult  to see what to do further......

Setting up a public key ...???

Can you give me some tips on how to communicate with this protocol..

Or is it too difficult  for a simple example ???

Thx for your time

Greetings ,

Frederik Pot

_________________________________________________________________
Windows Live Mail: Slim, Persoonlijk, Betrouwbaar en het blijft natuurlijk 
gratis! http://imagine-windowslive.com/mail/launch/default.aspx?Locale=nl-nl

---

From: der Mouse <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 10:04:28 -0500 (EST)

> I want to connect from a realbasic application (on windows) to my
> linux computer on port 22.

> So there is a sort of connection.........

Right...though "xhost +" has nothing whatever to do with this; X
permissions are completely independent of access to your ssh server.

> Or is it too difficult  for a simple example ???

It's too complicated to describe briefly.  See RFCs 4250 through 4254;
they are the spec for the basic protocol.

It will be rather difficult to use ssh directly from BASIC.  Not
impossible, assuming your BASIC supports networking and operations on
binary data, but...well, put it this way: I wouldn't try unless someone
were paying me quite a lot - and that's speaking as someone who's
written an ssh client (not, of course, in BASIC).

Unless you have a good deal of cryptography support available built
into your BASIC system....

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       [email-masked]
/ \ Email!	     7D C8 61 52 5D E7 2D 39  4E F1 31 3E E8 B3 27 4B

---

From: "Frederik Pot" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 15:21:20 +0000

Thank you verry much for your reply !!
I really appreciate for answering the email !

Thx for your time...

Greetings ,

Frederik Pot

>From: der Mouse <[email-masked]>
>Reply-To: [email-masked]
>To: [email-masked]
>CC: Frederik Pot <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Re: simple connection
>Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 10:04:28 -0500 (EST)
>

_________________________________________________________________
Bekijk je berichten in 1 oogopslag met de indeling van Live Mail! 
http://imagine-windowslive.com/mail/launch/default.aspx?Locale=nl-nl

---

From: Jeffrey Hutzelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 10:17:28 -0500

> into your BASIC system....

Heh.  Doing RSA or DH in BASIC would be an interesting challenge, to say 
the least.

---

From: der Mouse <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 12:11:31 -0500 (EST)

> Heh.  Doing RSA or DH in BASIC would be an interesting challenge, to
> say the least.

It wouldn't be difficult, just slow.  I've done IDEA in MUF (a language
rather like FORTH but with all the real elegance ripped out).  I've
also done floating-point in it - in a version which has no native
support for any arithmetic type except machine integers.

Honestly, if I had to do ssh in BASIC, I'd probably build an
interpreter (or perhaps compiler to pcode and then a pcode engine) for
a language better suited to the task and then write the code in that.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign

---

From: [email-masked] (Peter Gutmann)
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2007 21:07:09 +1300

>written an ssh client (not, of course, in BASIC).

There are a few SSH libs available as Windows DLLs which should be callable
from, well VB anyway, I assume RealBasic is the same.  A google search
for something like "windows dll ssh" should find something.

Peter (author of one of said DLLs :-).