Subject: where are SFTP v0 - 2 defined?

From: Terra Frost <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 20:11:27 -0500

SFTP v3 is the earliest version for which an internet draft exists.
Where are the specs for v0 - v2?  They can sorta be derived from
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-secsh-filexfer-02#section-10.1 I
guess but I'm still curious lol.

Among other things, I'd like to expand wikipedia.org's discussion of
SFTP to before v3:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSH_File_Transfer_Protocol#History_and_development

Thanks!

---

From: Tatu Ylonen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 10:38:10 +0300

I designed and implemented the original SFTP protocol for SSH 2.0 back 
around 1997.  Sami Lehtinen did further development on it.

It was originally a proprietary protocol at SSH Communications Security 
(www.ssh.com), though source code was publicly available.  It took a 
while before we wrote the draft and brought it to the IETF for 
standardization (seems to have been January 2001).

I don't remember the exact differences in versions 0, 1, and 2 (could be 
extracted from source in version control repositories), but the basic 
structure of the protocol was the same from the beginning.  Version 3 
was the first one for which a public draft existed.  (SSH1, on the other 
hand, used a completely different protocol from rcp, which was a simple 
streaming protocol that among other things couldn't handle file names 
with spaces)

Best regards,

Tatu Ylonen