Subject: Call for review: SSH IUTF8 terminal mode

From: Simon Tatham <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2016 09:42:31 +0100

I'm trying to get an RFC published that standardises the use of code 42
for the IUTF8 terminal mode bit.

This has been suggested on this list more than once: in the mailing list
archives at

  ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf-mail-archive/secsh/

I can find discussion started by Colin Watson on 2005-12-31, and by
David Madore on 2013-03-29. Both suggestions allocated the same number
(42) for the flag.

Moreover, Fedora's package of OpenSSH already seems to be running with a
downstream patch implementing IUTF8 under that number. For example, I
just found

  https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/updates/23/SRPMS/o/openssh-7.2p2-3.fc23.src.rpm

which contains a patch file openssh-7.1p1-iutf8.patch implementing it. I
also know tha MouSSH has a development branch containing the same
feature.

So I'd like to bless that existing consensus and practice by turning
this Internet-Draft into an RFC:

  https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-sgtatham-secsh-iutf8

and am calling for reviews. If anyone has any review comments or
(hopefully not) objections, please send them along!

Cheers,
Simon

-- 
for k in [pow(x,37,0x1a1298d262b49c895d47f) for x in [0x50deb914257022de7fff,
0x213558f2215127d5a2d1, 0x90c99e86d08b91218630, 0x109f3d0cfbf640c0beee7,
0xc83e01379a5fbec5fdd1, 0x19d3d70a8d567e388600e, 0x534e2f6e8a4a33155123]]:
 print "".join([chr(32+3*((k>>x)&1))for x in range(79)]) # <[email-masked]>

---

From: "Mark D. Baushke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2016 08:32:11 -0700

Hi Simon,

I like what you have written.

I suggest you may wish to add RFC 3629 in section 7.2 of your draft.

As RFC 3629 is slightly out-of-date, a reference to ISO/IEC 10646:2014
may also be useful.

In September 2006, ISO released a free online PDF copy of ISO 10646 on
its Freely Available Standards web page:

  http://standards.iso.org/ittf/PubliclyAvailableStandards/index.html

on that page you should be able to find links for ISO/IEC 10646:2014
as well as the two ammendments for it. The ZIP file is 130 MB.

There is a good FAQ on UTF-8 and Unicode for Unix/Linux available here:

  https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/unicode.html

Thank you for going through the process of getting this into an RFC for
SSH.

	-- Mark