Subject: [sfc] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-homma-sfc-forwarding-methods-analysis-00.txt

From: Shunsuke Homma <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 21:11:24 +0900

Hi all,

I have posted a new draft about analyzing forwarding methods for Service
Chaining.

The purpose of this draft is to clarify the applicable forwarding method 
based on network/service requirements. Currently, several SDOs and WGs 
are considering the use cases of Service Chaining with alternatives 
(e.g. OpenFlow, Segment Routing, and so on), and we should clarify the 
advantages of SFC with SFC encap (e.g. NSH or SCH) compared with the 
other approaches.

I would like to discuss this topic, and also welcome any other point of 
view about the analysis. If you have any comments or questions, please 
let me know.

Best regards,

Shunsuke

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: New Version Notification for 
draft-homma-sfc-forwarding-methods-analysis-00.txt
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 02:44:27 -0700
From: [email-masked]
To: Kengo <[email-masked]>,        Shunsuke Homma 
<[email-masked]>,        Diego R. Lopez 
<[email-masked]>,        Diego Lopez 
<[email-masked]>,        Kengo Naito 
<[email-masked]>,        Shunsuke Homma 
<[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-homma-sfc-forwarding-methods-analysis-00.txt
has been successfully submitted by Shunsuke Homma and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:		draft-homma-sfc-forwarding-methods-analysis
Revision:	00
Title:		Analysis on Forwarding Methods for Service Chaining
Document date:	2014-10-27
Group:		Individual Submission
Pages:		20
URL: 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-homma-sfc-forwarding-methods-analysis-00.txt
Status: 
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-homma-sfc-forwarding-methods-analysis/
Htmlized: 
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-homma-sfc-forwarding-methods-analysis-00

Abstract:
    Some working groups of the IETF and other Standards Developing
    Organizations are now discussing use cases of a technology that
    enables data packets to traverse appropriate service functions
    through networks.  This is called Service Chaining in this document.
    (Also, in Network Functions Virtualisation (NFV), a subject that
    forwarding packets to required service functions in appropriate order
    is called VNF Forwarding Graph.)  This draft does not focus only on
    SFC method, and thus, use the term "Service Chaining".  SFC may be
    one method to realize Service Chaining.  There are several Service
    Chaining methods to forward data packets to service functions, and
    the applicable methods will vary depending on the service/network
    requirements of individual networks.

    This document presents the results of analyzing packet forwarding
    methods and path decision patterns for achieving Service Chaining.
    For forwarding data packets to the appropriate service functions,
    distribution of route infromation and steering data packets following
    the route infromation, are required.  Examples of route information
    are packet identifier and the routing configurations based on the
    identifier.  Also, forwarding functions are required to decide the
    path according to the route information.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat