Subject: [sfc] Benoit Claise's No Objection on draft-ietf-sfc-problem-statement-12: (with COMMENT)

From: "Benoit Claise" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 04:32:51 -0800

Benoit Claise has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-sfc-problem-statement-12: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to http://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sfc-problem-statement/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

- A little bit disappointed that there are no much operational aspects in
this problem statement.
I guess this is fine as the charter contains:

    5. Manageability: Work on the management and configuration of SFC
    components related to the support of Service Function Chaining will
    certainly be needed, but first needs to be better understood and
    scoped.

However, the goal for SFC is to reduce the OPEX. For this to happen, the
operational aspects (Troubleshooting and OAM come to mind) can not be an
afterthought.

- I can't parse

   supports the movement
   of service functions and application workloads in the existing
   network, all the while retaining the network and service policies and
   the ability to easily bind service policy to granular information
   such as per-subscriber state.

-
OLD:

Service Function Chain (SFC):  A service function chain defines an
      ordered or partially ordered set of abstract service functions
      (SFs)

NEW:
Service Function Chain (SFC):  A service function chain defines an
      ordered or partially ordered set of abstract service functions
      
OLD:
 Service Function:  A function that is responsible for specific

NEW:
 Service Function (SF):  A function that is responsible for specific

- 
In the Service Function Chain definition, I'm not sure how the sentence
"An example of an abstract service function is "a firewall" helps the SFC
definition.
Anyway, this is covered in the Service Function definition.