Subject: [sfc] CfP - DEADLINE EXTENSION - IEEE Workshop on "Orchestration for Software-Defined Infrastructures" O4SDI 2016

From: Federica Paganelli <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2015 18:47:18 +0100

*** Apologies for multiple postings ***

CALL FOR PAPERS

First IEEE International Workshop on
Orchestration for Software-Defined Infrastructures (O4SDI 2016)

To be held in conjunction with the
IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC 2016)
May 23-27, 2016 - Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

http://icc2016.ieee-icc.org/cfw

http://www.o4sdi.unibo.it#workshop

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

IMPORTANT DATES

Paper submission deadline: *** December 18, 2015 - EXTENDED DEADLINE ***

Acceptance notification: February 21, 2016
Camera-ready papers: March 13, 2016

SUBMISSION INFORMATION

Paper submissions will be handled on-line through the EDAS system.
Further information will be soon available at

http://icc2016.ieee-icc.org/cfw

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

SCOPE

The current convergence between computing and networking eco-systems
clearly shows that software will play an unprecedented dominant role in
future communication environments. Computing, storage, and connectivity
services will be deployed as generalized virtual functions within a
software-defined infrastructure composed of a "fog" of micro-clouds,
typically located at the edge of the network. Suitable orchestration
mechanisms must then be devised to facilitate the live deployment and
dynamic lifecycle management of these virtual elements, at the
application level, the server level, and the network level, within a
single domain and across multiple domains.

Open issues that must still be addressed include: unified management of
computing, storage, and network resources; abstraction models and open
standard interfaces; adaptation and optimization mechanisms to be
enforced at global and/or local levels.

The First IEEE International Workshop on Orchestration for Software-
Defined Infrastructures (O4SDI) aims at providing an international
forum for researchers and practitioners to discuss and address the
challenges that must be faced in order to facilitate orchestration and
programmability of generalized virtual functions in Software Defined
Infrastructures (SDI). The workshop welcomes contributions from both
computing and network-oriented research communities, with the aim of
facilitating interdisciplinary discussion, cross-fertilization and
exchange of ideas and best practices.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

TOPICS OF INTEREST

Due to the highly interdisciplinary scope of the workshop,
contributions are expected from both computer science and
communications areas. Works that discuss lessons learnt and best
practices, describe practical deployment and implementation experiences,
and/or demonstrate innovative use-cases are especially encouraged for
presentation in the workshop. We are particularly interested in papers
that cover, but are not limited to, the following topics:

- single domain and cross domain orchestration issues
- integrated network and computing resource control and management
- control and abstraction of heterogeneous networks
- orchestration in SDN/NFV
- orchestration for next-generation IP and optical networks
- QoS/QoE in software-defined infrastructures
- orchestration for high-availability and resilience in
software-defined infrastructures
- network programmability for service chaining
- run-time orchestration
- dynamic service composition and delivery
- software engineering and operating systems techniques applied to
orchestration
- description, specification, and abstraction languages for 
orchestration
- optimal orchestration algorithms
- context-aware orchestration
- functional architectures of orchestrating elements
- testbed experiments on orchestrations
- performance evaluation of orchestration elements
- standardization issues in orchestration

O4SDI 2016 will also feature a panel discussing "Orchestration in the
context of Software Defined Infrastructures," as well as invited talks.
Dr. Stuart Clayman, University College London, will moderate the panel
and will also give a talk about the role of abstractions in software
which will be particularly important for network orchestration, one of
the most important interdisciplinary aspects of the workshop theme.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

WORKSHOP CO-CHAIRS

Walter Cerroni, University of Bologna, Italy – [email-masked]
Barbara Martini, CNIT, Pisa, Italy – [email-masked]
Federica Paganelli, CNIT, Firenze, Italy – [email-masked]

Additional information on the O4SDI initiative can be found at:

http://www.o4sdi.unibo.it

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

AUTHOR GUIDELINES

Prospective authors are invited to submit high-quality, original
technical papers for presentation at the workshop and publication in
the IEEE O4SDI 2016 Proceedings and IEEE Xplore. All final submissions
should be written in English with a maximum paper length of six (6)
printed pages (10-point font). Papers are reviewed on the basis that
they do not contain plagiarized material and have not been submitted to
any other conference at the same time (double submission). At least one
co-author/author of an accepted paper MUST register and present the
paper at the workshop for the paper to appear on IEEE Xplore.

For additional author guidelines, please refer to:

http://icc2016.ieee-icc.org/content/authors-guidelines