Subject: [sfc] 2nd IEEE Workshop on Orchestration for Software-Defined Infrastructures (O4SDI-2)

From: Barbara Martini <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2016 10:48:49 +0200

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please accept our apologies if you receive multiple copies of this CFP
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

  CALL FOR PAPERS

  2nd IEEE Workshop on
  Orchestration for Software-Defined Infrastructures (O4SDI-2)

  To be held in conjunction with the
  2016 IEEE Conference on Network Function Virtualization and Software
  Defined Networks (IEEE NFV-SDN 2016)

  November 7, 2016 - Palo Alto, California, USA

  http://o4sdi.unibo.it/o4sdi2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

  IMPORTANT DATES

  Paper submission deadline:  July 15, 2016
  Acceptance notification:    September 16, 2016
  Camera-ready papers:        October 7, 2016

  SUBMISSION INFORMATION

  Paper submissions are handled on-line through the EDAS system:

  https://edas.info/newPaper.php?c=22175&track=81344

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

  SCOPE

  The current industry trend of convergence between computing and
  networking eco-systems clearly shows that software will play an
  unprecedented dominant role also in future communication environments.
  Computing, storage, and connectivity services, as well as any other
  present and future application instances, will be deployed in the form
  of virtualized assets within a software-defined infrastructure running
  on top of general-purpose processing and communication hardware, all
  managed and made available under the cloud “As A Service” paradigm.
  This technological convergence and infrastructure sharing between the
  computing and communication systems portend a scenario with a “fog” of
  micro-clouds composed of generalized virtual functions providing both
  applications and network services that supplement those deployed in
  traditional cloud datacenters.

  The Second IEEE Workshop on Orchestration for Software-Defined
  Infrastructures (O4SDI) addresses the challenges that will facilitate
  orchestration and programmability of generalized virtual functions in
  Software Defined Infrastructures (SDI), enabling cloud and network
  providers to deploy integrated services across different resource
  domains. Orchestration mechanisms will facilitate the live deployment
  and lifecycle management of these virtual elements, at the application
  level, the server level, and the network level within a single domain
  and across multiple domains. Without such orchestration it will not
  be possible to enable dynamic establishment of generalized virtual
  function chains, according to service requirements.

  These challenges of orchestration are many-fold, with many open
  questions that need to be addressed in the areas of:
    -  network "softwarization," which requires unified management of
       computing, storage, and network resources for the effective
       deployment, lifecycle management, and run-time configuration of
       generalized virtual functions;
    -  abstraction models and open standard interfaces, needed for
       assuring vendor interoperability;
    -  adaptation and optimization mechanisms, which must be enforced at
       global and/or local level for coping with user demand, application
       requirements, resource unavailability, etc.

  O4SDI aims at providing an international forum for researchers and
  practitioners from academia, industry, network operators, and service
  providers to discuss and address the challenges deriving from such
  emerging scenario where systems, processes, and workflows used in both
  computing and communications domains are converging.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

  TOPICS OF INTEREST

  Due to the highly interdisciplinary scope of the workshop,
  contributions are expected from both computing and network-oriented
  research communities, with the aim of facilitating discussion, cross-
  fertilization and exchange of ideas and practices, and successfully
  promote innovative solutions toward a real programmatic use of software-
  defined infrastructures as a whole. Contributions that discuss lessons
  learnt and best practices, describe practical deployment and
  implementation experiences, and demonstrate innovative use-cases are
  especially encouraged for presentation and publication.

  We are particularly interested in papers that cover, but are not
  limited to, the following topics:
    -  single domain and cross domain orchestration issues
    -  integrated network and computing resource control and management
    -  control and abstraction of heterogeneous networks
    -  orchestration in SDN/NFV
    -  run-time orchestration
    -  orchestration for next-generation IP and optical networks
    -  orchestration in 5G networks
    -  QoS/QoE in software-defined infrastructures
    -  orchestration for high-availability and resilience in
       software-defined infrastructures
    -  intent-based orchestration
    -  dynamic service composition and delivery
    -  network programmability for service chaining
    -  software engineering and operating systems techniques applied
       to orchestration
    -  description, specification, and abstraction languages
       for orchestration
    -  optimal orchestration algorithms
    -  context-aware orchestration
    -  functional architectures of orchestrating elements
    -  testbed experiments on orchestrations
    -  performance evaluation of orchestration elements
    -  standardization issues in orchestration

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

  WORKSHOP CO-CHAIRS

  Stuart Clayman, University College London, UK [email-masked]  
  Walter Cerroni, University of Bologna, Italy [email-masked]  
  Barbara Martini, CNIT, Pisa, Italy [email-masked]  
  Federica Paganelli, CNIT, Firenze, Italy [email-masked]  

  TECHNICAL PROGRAM COMMITEE

  To be announced soon

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

  AUTHOR GUIDELINES

  Prospective authors are invited to submit high-quality, original technical
  papers for presentation at the workshop and publication in the O4SDI
  Proceedings and IEEE Xplore. Papers must be written in English,
  unpublished and not submitted elsewhere. Full papers must be formatted
  as the standard IEEE double-column conference template. All final
  submissions should have a maximum paper length of six (6) printed pages
  (10-point font), including figures, without incurring additional page
  charges.

  To be published in the Workshop Proceedings and to be eligible for
  publication in IEEE Xplore, at least one author of an accepted paper is
  required to register and present the paper at the workshop. The IEEE
  reserves the right to exclude a paper from distribution after the
  conference (including its removal from IEEE Xplore) if the paper is not
  presented at the conference. Papers are reviewed on the basis that they
  do not contain plagiarized material and have not been submitted to any
  other conference at the same time (double submission).

  For additional author guidelines, please refer to:

  http://nfvsdn2016.ieee-nfvsdn.org/authors/call-for-papers/submission-guidelines/