Subject: [sfc] Request to review draft-hyun-i2nsf-nsf-triggered-steering-01 from I2NSF WG

From: Sangwon Hyun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2016 02:36:49 +0000

Hi SFC WG,

This is Sangwon from I2NSF WG. The link below is an Internet Draft of I2NSF
WG. In I2NSF WG meeting last Monday, I2NSF WG chairs Linda and Adrian asked
me to request SFC WG to review this draft.

Title: NSF-triggered Traffic Steering in I2NSF Framework
Link: https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hyun-i2nsf-nsf-triggered-steering-01

This draft describes an architecture of I2NSF framework to provide traffic
forwarding between NSFs (Network Security Functions) to realize I2NSF’s
information model based on ECA (Event-Condition-Action) security policy
rule. This draft focuses on the traffic steering for only security services
rather than general service function chaining.

In I2NSF framework, an NSF triggers an advanced security inspection (e.g.,
DPI and DDoS attack mitigation) with a different type of NSF according to
an ECA policy rule; for instance, a firewall triggers further inspection of
the suspicious traffic with a DPI based on its own security inspection
result. Thus, our NSF-triggered traffic forwarding is based on the result
of the predecessor NSF to dynamically select the next NSF without the
predefined forwarding path.

Thus, an NSF dynamically determines the next NSF to trigger rather than
following a pre-determined SFP. Realizing this requires the traffic
forwarding from the triggering NSF to the triggered NSF. For this
forwarding, we added an additional component named NSF Forwarder (NSFF in
Figure 1: NSF-triggered Traffic Steering Architecture), which takes charge
of such traffic forwarding with the result of the predecessor NSF. In
addition, we also added another component named NSF Operation Manager (in
Figure 1), which maintains the forwarding information of NSF instances
running in the system. Periodically or on demand, NSFF requests the
forwarding information of the triggered NSF to NSF Operation Manager.

If you could review and give us some comments of the draft, it will be
really helpful for us.

Best regards,
Sangwon