Subject: [sfc] Last Call: <draft-farrel-sfc-convent-05.txt> (Operating the Network Service Header (NSH) with Next Protocol "None") to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2018 13:34:59 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Service Function Chaining WG (sfc)
to consider the following document: - 'Operating the Network Service Header
(NSH) with Next Protocol "None"'
  <draft-farrel-sfc-convent-05.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2018-01-31. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document describes the use of the Network Service Header (NSH)
   in a Service Function Chaining (SFC) enabled network with no payload
   data and carrying only metadata.  This is achieved by defining a new
   NSH "Next Protocol" type value of "None".

   This document illustrates some of the functions that may be achieved
   or enhanced by this mechanism, but it does not provide an exhaustive
   list of use cases, nor is it intended to be definitive about the
   functions it describes.  It is expected that other documents will
   describe specific use cases in more detail and will define the
   protocol mechanics for each use case.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-farrel-sfc-convent/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-farrel-sfc-convent/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.