Subject: [sidr] I-D Action:draft-ietf-sidr-origin-ops-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 01:45:02 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Secure Inter-Domain Routing Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : RPKI-Based Origin Validation Operation
	Author(s)       : R. Bush
	Filename        : draft-ietf-sidr-origin-ops-08.txt
	Pages           : 8
	Date            : 2011-05-10

Deployment of RPKI-based BGP origin validation has many operational
considerations.  This document attempts to collect and present them.
It is expected to evolve as RPKI-based origin validation is deployed
and the dynamics are better understood.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sidr-origin-ops-08.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 10:54:05 +0200

+   Use of RPKI-based origin validation obviates the utility of
+   announcing many longer prefix when the covering prefix would do.
+
+   To aid translation of ROAs into efficient search algorithms in
+   routers, ROAs SHOULD be as precise as possible, i.e. match prefixes
+   as announced in BGP.  E.g. software and operators SHOULD avoid use of
+   excessive max length values in ROAs unless operationally necessary.
+
+   Therefore, ROA generation software MUST use the prefix length as the
+   max length if the user does not specify a max length.
+
+   Operators SHOULD be conservative in use of max length in ROAs.  E.g.,
+   if a prefix will have only a few sub-prefixes announced, multiple
+   ROAs for the specific announcements SHOULD be used as opposed to one
+   ROA with a long max length.

yes, i will fix s/prefix/prefixes/ in the next edition

randy