Subject: [sidr] Last Call: <draft-ietf-sidr-pfx-validate-09.txt> (BGP Prefix Origin Validation) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 09:45:58 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Secure Inter-Domain Routing WG
(sidr) to consider the following document:
- 'BGP Prefix Origin Validation'
  <draft-ietf-sidr-pfx-validate-09.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2012-10-01. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   To help reduce well-known threats against BGP including prefix mis-
   announcing and monkey-in-the-middle attacks, one of the security
   requirements is the ability to validate the origination AS of BGP
   routes.  More specifically, one needs to validate that the AS number
   claiming to originate an address prefix (as derived from the AS_PATH
   attribute of the BGP route) is in fact authorized by the prefix
   holder to do so.  This document describes a simple validation
   mechanism to partially satisfy this requirement.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sidr-pfx-validate/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sidr-pfx-validate/ballot/

The following IPR Declarations may be related to this I-D:

   http://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1569/